Festool Random Orbital Sander 150/3 or 150/5?

ryandetzel

The swirls will have a smaller radius with the /3. The /5 is the same as the Rotex 150 in ROS mode (stroke size wise). Some say the /5 stroke is more aggressive because it is larger then correlate that the /3 must leave a finer finish since it is a smaller stroke. At the finer grits, I think it is a wash and would actually think the /5 would hide swirls better. At coarser grits, the /5 moves the dust better IMHO so it can be more aggressive or at least not load up as much.

I recently purchased an ETS 150/5 and I went back and forth between the /3 and/ 5 and ultimately decided on the /5 because I wanted the sander to be a bit more aggressive. I can honestly say that I am very happy with my decision. Now I haven't used the /3 version, but I have no issues with the /5, in fact coming from a DeWalt ROS, the Festool is amazing.

How about "None of the above"? http://www.mirkacero...CEROS_home.html

I've used a lot of sanders over the years and(except for the air-powered DAs) none compare with this one. Including the Festools... It's lighter, it's quiet, it's easier to handle than the traditional RO sanders and you can use anybody's discs with it.

Of course, you can save some money with the Festool, how often can you say that? :blink:

HTH,

Bill

How about "None of the above"? http://www.mirkacero...CEROS_home.html

I've used a lot of sanders over the years and(except for the air-powered DAs) none compare with this one. Including the Festools... It's lighter, it's quiet, it's easier to handle than the traditional RO sanders and you can use anybody's discs with it.

Of course, you can save some money with the Festool, how often can you say that? :blink:

HTH,

Bill

You can't say that very often! The Porter Cables new low profiles are just as good as the festool. The Market is finally starting to catch on. The PC's stop immediately when turned off, have great dust collection and variable speed for quite a bit less. Stroke is 5mm on the PC and wont leave orbital marks as long as the dust collection is dialed back, just like the Festool.

Don

==> Porter Cables new low profiles are just as good as the festool

Have 2 of the PC low-profs and eBaying both. The FT 150 and 125 leave much less fatigue after lengthy sanding sessions (3 hrs or so and you really feel the difference). The quality of finish is identical between the PC and FT /5… The /3 is a bit better. The dust collection on the FT is superior to the PC... The PC low prof is far superior to previous gen PC (eBaying those as well).

:) I think your right about the comfort. But honestly in 20+ years of doing this for a living 10 hous a day i dont think i can say ive ever spent 3+ hours straight attached to an ro sander. :) Wood magazine and fine woodworking both rate the dust collection on the 390k above the 125 along with the finish. I was wrong the stroke is only 2.5 mm. The only place the 125 beat it was comfort. Ive owed every festool sander and the big ones are sweet. But it wont be long before everyone makes one with the features of the little ones.

Don

I just got it in the mail yesterday...Festool really does a great job with everything about the tool. The box, the instructions, the detachable cord; just awesome. Tonight will be my first go around with it but I'm excited...yes, to use a sander. :-)

So which one did you get?