African Mahogany tearout.

Bobby Slack

A scrub plane has a big throat intentionally to let a big chip go through; it doesn't care about tearout since a normal progression has a lot of other planes follow it up to flatten and clean. You'd get tearout even if it wasn't an LN.

How deep of a texture do you want? Maybe cambering a regular plane iron a lot will help as you have a throat to close. In the deep recess, you'll likely get tearout as the chip will break too far from the lift.

Best bet is a convex spokeshave; they have a throat you can close and are made for this. They are of about the same radius as the scrub.

Paul-Marcel. Thanks. I am using the scrub plate on the mortise plane from LN. I don't blame LN for the problem. I was wondering if the tear out was a characteristic of African Mahogany.

What you say about the throat is totally true because the Mortise plane has an enormous opening.

Using this blade was a quick solution and I did not want to go through the trouble of cambering a blade.

Your post is very good. Thank you again.

Yes, the tear out is indicative of african mahogany. It has a lot of switchback grain in it. The best way to tame it is to have sharp tools and take light passes working in both directions at the grain changes.

I'm not sure what you mean by texture. Do mean creating plane curve track marks? If so, a deeper cut will work in the direction of the grain but will be very difficult to stop the cut as the grain direction changes.

Tim. Thanks. I am going to try creating this same exercise on Walnut, Cherry and Honduras Mahogany. This morning I spoke with Andrew from Lie-Nielsen and just as you mentioned, Andrew suggested to have my iron razor sharp.

My definition of texture is exactly as you guessed, leaving the plane tracks, almost gauges on the wood.