Newbie Needs Help with Nail Gun

glkravit

Hi all,

I'm as new as new can be both to this forum and woodworking in general. The last time I built something was in high school shop class in 1978. My only experience working with wood has been balsa and light birch plywood while building radio controlled model aircraft, though I built a lot of them.

Today, when I'm not working, I paint. I saw the finished black walnut easel posted here on this forum while Googling plans and was impressed. So I ordered the plans and am in the process of building one of myself. Photos below. I realized while building this that maybe a finishing nail gun would be better than hand hammering all the nails into the oak. In many cases I screwed them up and had to pull them, renail, and then fill holes. At the end of the day it all worked out but I'd like to do a better job as I will be building a second easel, and then perhaps other projects.

Can anyone suggest a decent nail gun for me, please? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but i'm prepared to pay for value.

Photo of easel attached - still needs to be finished and assembled.

Thanks,

Garry

post-6141-0-38552000-1324393067_thumb.jp

At the end of the day it all worked out but I'd like to do a better job as I will be building a second easel, and then perhaps other projects.

Guess it depends on what type of projects you want to do, but I wonder if you'd be better off to forget the nail gun and instead buy a bunch of clamps and a bottle of glue.

-- Russ

Thanks all, I do have an air compressor, a bottle of glue, and some clamps. :) I want an nail gun to work a little quicker and hold things in place while the glue dries. Maybe that's breaking some kind of convention or etiquette?

I went to Home Depot today and browsed. I like the Dewalt mentioned by JAYWC, but I also looked a Porter Cable that was priced at like 70. It handles 16 gauge and up to 1 3/8" nails, I think.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Garry

For this particular project I don't know that this would be the gun, but one of the nailers that I use the most often is a pin nailer http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-PIN100-2-Inch-1-Inch-23-Gauge/dp/B00006411F

It leaves a mark that is VERY minor (I would say almost invisible, but not quite). Typically I use it when I am a little behind and don't want to wait for glue to set up before I can handle a small project (small project being the key word :)) It allows me to glue and pin something and keep on rolling without the wait. I don't rely on the pin itself for any structural strength; just to keep things in place while gently handling them. Surprisingly the little guys have a lot of holding power. I was skeptical until I had to try and pry a test piece apart (without any glue). I really like it, but for something of the easel project might be a little under what you need...

Maybe that's breaking some kind of convention or etiquette?

Some people will argue on principle against any kind of metal fasteners in furniture. I'm not a purist in that way, but for really nice stuff, I don't think most folks want to see either nail heads or the results of an attempt to hide them. That's why I said it depends on what kind of things you want to build. For lots of projects, there wouldn't be a problem, and nails are for sure a good way to hold things while the glue dries.

-- Russ

For this particular project I don't know that this would be the gun, but one of the nailers that I use the most often is a pin nailer http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00006411F

Thanks Boatworks. That's a neat little pin nailer. I think I will go with something a little bit more substantial so that I have some flexibility as I move on to other projects.

Best,

Garry

Some people will argue on principle against any kind of metal fasteners in furniture. I'm not a purist in that way, but for really nice stuff, I don't think most folks want to see either nail heads or the results of an attempt to hide them. That's why I said it depends on what kind of things you want to build. For lots of projects, there wouldn't be a problem, and nails are for sure a good way to hold things while the glue dries.

-- Russ

Excellent, Russ. That's what I was wondering about. How should I phrase this ... I'm more of a utilitarian at this moment than looking to create real works of art. That doesn't mean that I won't continue to work with wood and get there, in fact, knowing myself I probably will. :) For right now I just want a bad-ass easel that will work and get me painting ASAP.

I do appreciate the explanation!

Thanks,

Garry