Quick dining table

dwacker

I'm curious what "quick" means. Are you 20 hours into this project?

I recently built a project and tweeted along the way, documenting the process. The little table took only eight hours to build, including design (which happened on-the-fly) and finishing. Once I get some quality pictures of the table, I'll post it on my blog along with all the process photos and tweets that went out along the way.

475635889.jpg?Expires=1324260033&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Kx2Fcgh-odau-N0iSjkcUK6d8gFitQLU1Qc74lslDluN6B73gNWty-jOgW-0r4LIVEnhUwCJkBgezramCfdDQryvsgu7fPviaWNnqexpbZDmZPgKzWAJRXq-~WqmX9uYc4hsvi8mhnKWVXH1thiBWmntBNF9OWcsG0~FHPcLxVk_

I'm curious what "quick" means. Are you 20 hours into this project?

I recently built a project and tweeted along the way, documenting the process. The little table took only eight hours to build, including design (which happened on-the-fly) and finishing. Once I get some quality pictures of the table, I'll post it on my blog along with all the process photos and tweets that went out along the way.

475635889.jpg?Expires=1324260033&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Kx2Fcgh-odau-N0iSjkcUK6d8gFitQLU1Qc74lslDluN6B73gNWty-jOgW-0r4LIVEnhUwCJkBgezramCfdDQryvsgu7fPviaWNnqexpbZDmZPgKzWAJRXq-~WqmX9uYc4hsvi8mhnKWVXH1thiBWmntBNF9OWcsG0~FHPcLxVk_

Like anything else the more you do it the quicker you get. Never really timed it and Im never in a hurry but probably no more than two hours to get to the sand stage.

Don

• 1 month later...

The center post is 5 pieces of wood. 4 with full length tenons going into the center piece 4 dados. The "feet" are attached with 2, 1/2" dowels and a long screw drilled through both piece before attaching to the center. FYI this is not my design its Sam Maloof's. The only difference is the direction that the screw goes in. Sam went in the other way and used plugs. There is a half lap tie in the bottom that cant be seen in the pics recessed about 3/4" into all the pieces. Top and bottom are the same except the top does not have the half lap tie.

Don

Like anything else the more you do it the quicker you get. Never really timed it and Im never in a hurry but probably no more than two hours to get to the sand stage.

Don

When you say your times (I've noticed they're always extremely short) are you factoring in going to the store to get the wood, travel time, stock selection, milling, gluing, clean-up, sanding, finishing and all? To me that's the ellapsed time. Or are you calculating just the time doing only WWing? To me that's the run time. In my opinion, either you're freaking fast or you have some powerful machines (or a shop monkey LOL).