Folding Rule Users

sonos1

I was installing drawer slides and needed an inside the box measurement. It was then i remembered my fathers old folding rule with the micro measurement slide built into one end. Hey....is there room in the tool box for one more small tool?

I think it best if first i check with the chair of the ways and means committee (my spouse)! She agreed as long as a would put it to use and build another dresser for our youngest child. Now how could i go wrong...new tool, a trip to the hardware store, and starting the search for lumbar. I think there is a god (and he likes woodworking too).

What do you think of the folding rule?

I use the Lufkins with the slider. I love it. I think you'll find most on the other side of the pond use sticks instead of tapes. I could be wrong, but I know the several people I've met over there don't even own tapes. I do have a nice metric tape I picked up on one of my trips.

Never met a folder I couldn't break..... :huh:

Must be genetic or something, I've tried a bunch of those abominable things and never had one last more than a month. I've worked with a lot of old carpenters and woodbutchers that swear by them so there must be something there, I just can't seem to keep one long enough to figure out what it is. My experience has been more swearing at them...

YMMV,

Bill

Where a folding rule excels is on inner dimensions and since you should make sure whatever rule/tape you use on a project has the same measurements, it's usually a good idea to continue with the same one throughout. I know there is almost a 1/4 inch at 36" from the most conservative to the most liberal of my tapes and folding rules. I also, still use my FatMax a lot. Old habit from framing...love that tape.

For inside measures, I use either the red BMI window tape measure or the Festool tape measure (similar, no?). You extend the tape and butt the back of the tape measure for inside measurements. Measurement is read in the window. I just used that feature to death refacing a stairway using the feature to measure.

Regardless the accuracy of the window (which both of mine match), you can do the same thing to mark an inside length that you use to compare against on the other diagonal. Also used this relative measuring to death on these stairs with these measures.

Certainly doesn't take these tapes to do it; any locking tape with a relatively small body will do.