using wood that goes together?

linkmx674

I think a small table is an excellent choice for this type of thing. You can always make up another top in a different species.

Some people prefer quite startling differences, Maple and Walnut for example, others prefer similar colours but different figures, Ash and Beech perhaps.

John

(who is making a small table, and may make more than one top :D )

There is a great article in Fine Woodworking that speaks to wood pairings. Some noted include:

cherry-maple

red oak-white ash

butternut-walnut

beech-quilted yellow birch

mahagony-cherry

cherry-ebony

mahogany-curly maple

wenge-walnut

zebrawood-butternut

cherry-sycamore

pear-beech

birdseye maple-tiger maple

I have also done some reading/looking to see what cabinet/furniture craftsmen are doing and have been compiling a list for my own use. David Marks in particular mixes different exotics to beautiful ends.

Ditto to Flair! Try, see what you like!

One thought... Most parings usually look much better if one wood is dominant, and the other an accent. In other words, 1/2 and 1/2 can look weird. The accent wood can create a focal point, or de-emphathize a section, depending on the grain and figure (or lack of...), color, contrast, etc...

Mixing wood is a huge design palette. Have fun as you explore! As you step onto the slippery slope, you may even start looking at color and texture paint, stone, metals, fabrics, glass... and how it might work with your favorite woods... Then, there's veneer! :o

we had a talk on here at one point about how someone noticed that he often sells to women more often to then men and they usualy want furniture that has similar wood on it. also it was noted that alot of wood workers have found that younger people like contrasting woods but older people liked a wood that are similar. i dont know if its a generation thing or if as people get older they want a more solid look to there furniture.

There is a great article in Fine Woodworking that speaks to wood pairings. Some noted include:

Depends on your viewpoint if it's the article I'm thinking of, that's why I joke about calling my planned (someday) purpleheart/maple workbench the Garrett Hack bench :P. I like contrasting colours myself, it's when they overwhelm that it's a personal turnoff. Mixing grain is more jarring to me than contrasting colours personally as they just don't seem to go together. I'm not sure how walnut/white oak would work for me personally as a result. But like others have suggested there's only one way to find out.

When the conversation moves from technique to taste, all bets are off. Grain, color, veneer, solid, bleached, whatever works, works. Good luck with the PH/M combo. In time I'm sure it will be gorgeous.

Couldn't have said it better. Everyone's taste is different and all opinions are just that. Hopefully I'll get around to the bench this year, but my list of stuff to build is soooo long and I don't get near enough shop time :).