Just say no to knots

Guest Trace

In high school I was told ( but probably didn't listen) to never cut a loose knot on the table saw. Now at 69 yrs old I recalled that lesson after cutting into a loose knot at the end of a board. It came out of the piece of red oak at about 200 mph. One piece got my left hand at the third knuckle of my little finger, taking a lot of skin and not much meat. The other piece got my right index finger at the first knuckle (4 stitches), and then my middle finger at the second knuckle , clear to the tendon, but not cutting it. A very nice double "V" requiring 17 stitches. I walked to the house and into my wife's office. Since she is a really good nurse, I thought I might have her make sure things were where they ought to be. She was sitting at her computer which faces the windows. I said "I need you to look at my hand", she didn't even look around, but continued to type and asked "What did you do to yourself this time?". She is very used to me. Anyway, she did clean the wounds and sent me to the local urgent care. No permanent damage to the hand and no visible scars. The lesson learned was not cheap but better than losing an eye or finger or getting speared.

Isn't it great when you get lucky? Well, sort of anyway considering what things could have been.

I had my first kickback ever on the table saw a month or so ago. Scared the crap out of me. Didn't involve a knot, unless you consider the knothead who was running the saw. :rolleyes: I had a piece zip straight at me, hit my stomach, take off a bit of skin and leave a blood trail on the piece. I think mine was traveling just shy of the speed of light though.

It do make you think, it certainly do.

Good to hear both of you are allright. I had a similar experience with the kickback, and had a nice bruise for a few days. What scared me even more was when I inspected the piece and saw how the blade dug into the piece and realizing how easily it could have pulled my hand into the spinning blade. Make sure you are using a splitter on your table saw, IMHO this is the most important safety feature on the table saw.

I've been fortunte enough in my first year of woodworking not have a piece actually kick back on me. However, twice now I've had small cut offs vibrate into the blade after I made my cut. Last time a 4" x 4" of cedar fence post hit me right in the gut, left a nice rectangle bruise. You've got to pay attention to those small cut offs as well!