Router Planes old vs new

Rowdymon

As I'm getting my shop ready I am thinking ahead at items I want to build...

Several pieces are going to have dados, and for that I think a good choice for a hand plane would be a Router Plane...

That being said, I don't know if the Veritas or Lei Nelson Router planes offer anything that an old Stanley or simlar would offer...

Being fairly new to this...I thought I would ask the advise of y'all...

Thoughts?

Thanks

They offer nicer, easier, more consistent adjustments. A stanley 71 will ultimately do the same job. My friend has one he keeps setup with LV blades and it probably does just as well in the end, but it takes a little more fidling. After trying my LV he bought one too even though he already had the Stanley, so he certainly thought the advantages were worthwhile.

Unless you have found a good deal on a vintage router that you know to be good and complete I'd say go new. IMHO it's totally worth it.

Thank you Chris...That answered the exact questions that were rolling around in my little head.

I don't mind fiddling with things to get them working properly...but I am just getting started using any hand tools (not that I"m that great with power tools yet)...and would rather save the frustration until after I get more comfortable.

As far as fidely planes go, vintage routers certainly aren't the most fiddly, but again with new you know what your getting so the decision to go new definitely is a good one. Also, as far as premium planes go the LV large router is a lot of plane for a relatively low cost. With the fence it also does an acceptable job plowing grooves if you don't yet have a plow plane - takes a bit of practice to get clean grooves with it and it's not as fast as a plow plane, but it's by no means difficult. Have fun!

I've got both the Stanley 71 and the LV; I reach for the LV first, all the time!!!! However, there are occasions where the open mouth design of the 71 is better for a task. To get the best performance from the 71, turn the nut upside down so that you get approximately 1/4" more of usable blade space for shallow parring. So far, all the LV blades fit my Stanely; and the Stanley will get the job done. However, it does not clamp down, secure, and hold--or adjust--with the precision and confidence of the LV. The spread handles occasionally get in the way, as opposed to the Stanley and LN, but that's the benefit of having them both. One day, I hope to try out someone's LN version. These tools are way cool and extremely functional!

I think the best way to describe my purchasing style...I don't mind spending good money for quality merchandise. But I do like purchasing in that 'sweet spot'...bang for the buck.

If the LV router plane hits that for a good number of people, then I"ll probably go that route.

Thank y'all for the input...HOpefully I'll be making sawdust in the garage PDQ...

the only problem with buying specialty planes as antiques is often they are missing parts. they may only come with one cutter etc. but i think the cutters mostly can be replaced from buying them from a LV router plane.

ps I have a stanley 71 and it only came with two cutters.

I have no idea where y'all find these deals.

Every antique or garage sale I've been to...these are antiques...and they MUST be valuable...so...$200 for this rusted out plane with no brand...'cause it's old and I heard on antique road show old tools are going up in value..

*laugh*

Riiiiiight...

I know I had seen it somewhere that people were taking old router planes, screwing them to a board and calling them coat racks-for a high price tag!! It's been a while since I looked but the old stanley 71's did usually go for $30 give or take. The nice thing is as long as it is complete there isn't much that can go wrong and no flattening to really worry about. If you can find one with a 1/4" cutter and pick up a spearhead cutter from Lee Valley you are set. If you like the thought of making your own-this is about as simple as they come. Just a thought

• 2 months later...

Everyone is talking about the Lee Valley router plane - how about Lie Nielsen's version? I assume quality and general operation are basically the same. Price is the similar. In terms of the minor features and fit/comfort, does anyone have recommendation or comments on selection between these two beauties?

Never used the LN, but from my perspective things are much more of a tossup now that LN makes a closed throat version and now that LV has improved the depth locking mechanism. You might want to think about which has handles that would be more comforable for you (LN is straight up, and LVs are canted out to the sides). I like the canted handles on my LV but there are some situaions where I think straight up would be preferable.

If you need a tie breaker I guess one more point for the LV is that it comes with 3 blades, more blade sizes are availabe, and the other size blades are less expensive.

Of course, if you're really feeling crazy you could get the LV (closed mouth) and also get the open mouthed LN - that should cover you :D

My take on LN versus Veritas-LV. LN makes their pieces in the same way/tradition of the older planes, just beefier and with phenomenal craftsmanship. I prefer the Veritas business model, which is to innovate. I love my Veritas planes. I've used the LNs at WIA. Nice, very nice, but I still like my Veritas' better.

I never find decent $4 planes, either... It would probably help if I spent more time looking! :D For me, more looking for used tools = less woodworking time.

I have both Veritas router planes. I think they are definitely a tool that becomes extremely necessary once you have one, but you never thought you needed one when you didn't. I use mine constantly to true up machined dados in solid woods. I find that a pass or two along the bottom often makes a nicer fit than straight off the saw on joints that will be visible after assembly.

I bought mine before LN added optional mouth designs. I'm not planning on switiching, the Veritas versions are fanastic tools.

I pretty much cut ALL of my hinge mortises with planes nowadays, even in entry doors. Knife 'em out, then alternate between sharp chisels and teh router plane. Perfect depth, square corners, and no chance of a router tipping or grabbing. Router planes are much easier to clean up after and far more pleasant to use. The electric router isn't at all faster until you start batching with jigs.