Help with dewalt dw735

Freddie

I just picked the dewalt dw735 up this week from lowes. I put the extension tables on tonight, got them fairly adjusted. The front of the board had reduced in snipe significantly, while the back of the board comes out of the out feed with terrible snipe. I guess I should try to raise the end of the out feed table to help with this. I take 1/32 or less on each pass, trying to be good to the tools. I've run poplar, walnut, cherry, and african mahogany through as tests. Every board is coming out with scratches down the entire length of the boards, some more pronounced than others. Im new to owning a planer, and i thought maybe a knife was nicked? I opened the machine up and wiped the entire inside out, reversed the knives, waxed the tables, cleaned the rollers, and took another shot. Still scratching the boards!

*As i was leveling the tables, I used one of my 6' levels to lay across the main and ext. tables. I noticed play in the main table as the level could rock back and forth. Curious as to whether the main table was not flat or i had a bad level, i grabber the 12 inch ruler from my empire combo square, and the same rocking occured. Is this a concern that the main table is not true?

I used to have a 735; for what I used it for at the time it was a good planer. Didn't run into the problem you're talking about though. I'm sure you've already checked this, but with the head raised all the way up look to see if the table itself is clean of any sap/pitch or glue. Is this a new planer or new to you? Which side of the board are the scratches? Table side or knife side? Scratches down the length of the board shouldn't have much to do with the table; un-even table would give something more along the lines of chatter across the board and not so much lengthwise.

The planer is brand new, i keep the table clean i put a coat of paste wax on it.The scratches appear on the knife side. Im completely stumped as to what it could be. I reversed the knives. I know they are the oem cheap ones, but they appear to be free of defects, so i dont believe they are the culprits.

I'd say re-check your rollers. There may be some bit of grit lodged into one. I forget what the recommended cleaning fluid is, it's in the manual, its either mineral spirits or denatured alcohol, but raise the top as far as it will go so you can spin them and look at them. Those and the blades "should" be the only things touching the wood, and if it's cutting, it's probably the one on the outfeed side that's leaving a scratch.

The bigger problem is the table. If the platen is twisted, that will likely be reflected in the output wood. (non-parallel) I'd return it for a replacement.

Yea i was also assuming the outfeed roller might be the culprit, you know what else though, the plastic dust hood that surrounds the cutter head looks all mangled on the outfeed side of the planer, its all rough looking and sharp.As for the table, I was shocked when i noticed the ruler and level rocking back and forth.

I have the 735, and found with the tables properly adjusted, snipe was minimized. If you raise the machine all the way and then put a straightedge across both tables (through the planer), you should adjust the tables until a penny fits on the bed, under the straightedge. This seems to have worked for me to eliminate the leading edge snipe.

My experience with trailing edge snipe has been that it's because the rear roller actually pushes/lifts the trailing edge of the board up into the cutterhead. This is made worse when there is excessive resistance to the board sliding through. Waxing the tables and cleaning the rollers should help with this. To eliminate trailing snipe, I run pieces through back-to-back, or follow up the last piece with a piece of scrap.

On the scratches - this could be from the rollers, but that would be indicative of some other force pushing back on the board so the rollers are spinning and grinding against the board. It could also be from the plastic cover, if it has been damaged or for some other reason sits too low.

Long day at work today, so i forgot to pick up a camera phone adapter. I went into the garage and cleaned the rollers with mineral spirits as suggested on the dewalt website. I took the tables off and tried to get a better look at the main table. I put winding sticks front and rear, there seems to be no twist in the table, it just drops off slightly on the in feed side and more so on the out feed side. This could be an indication as to why the snipe is so bad. Since the middle of the table is higher, when the board enters the planer on the first roller the middle of the table will ride the board up into the cutter and same for the out feed side. Also, after cleaning the rollers, the board still came out all scratched up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkBKFmN5YeA&feature=youtu.be

Here is a video i posted today of the new 735 i picked up. I havent put the extension tables on yet, so there is snipe, but the finish is nice and smooth with no scratches down the board. I posted the video because the planer makes a rattling sound when you power it off, and I am not sure if that is completely normal or something is wrong. Do you guys know?

I would check a table of one on display with the same ruler you were using before and see if it's flat. If it is exchange it and the rest of your issues would be resolved. Mine doesn't rattle, it's like something you put back together while changing your knives is rattling loose, did you tighten everything well? Check if anything got loose. Your chip extractor might also be the issue, see if you can return it, something's not right. Was it rattling before you changed the knives?