Spray on poly over arm-r-seal?

Nick2cd

Nick, I have not used any of the Arm-R-Seal products so I went over to Rockler to look at the product description. If it is a urethane it should be fine by itself.

Pick a product and stick with it if it works. As a pro I use different products than yourself, but the principles that guide you should be the same. Pick a product that can be applied in as few steps as possible, is easy to apply with the means that you have, and is durable.

Pick the product that gives you the finish you want. If you want a satin finish, do not pick gloss or semi-gloss then steel wool the sheen down. Pick the satin product from the beginning.

I do not mess with chemistry very much. The companies do that for me, that is what I pay them for every time that I pop open a can of finishing product. They are developing the product for me to make it an easy application that provides durable and satisfying results. Straying from the can's specs or mixing products only exposes you to more risk of failure.

Another thing, I do not use wax on any of my products nor do I recommend any sort of furniture polish. I have been able to do repairs successfully if the surface is not contaminated with such products.

I do not mess with chemistry very much. The companies do that for me, that is what I pay them for every time that I pop open a can of finishing product. They are developing the product for me to make it an easy application that provides durable and satisfying results. Straying from the can's specs or mixing products only exposes you to more risk of failure.

Years ago, I was able to take advantage of hands-on pro finishing training. Our instructor referred to what Todd is writing as "systemizing"... Manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure each step with their product is compatible with the last, and that there will be no long term negative effects.

Years ago, I was able to take advantage of hands-on pro finishing training. Our instructor referred to what Todd is writing as "systemizing"... Manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure each step with their product is compatible with the last, and that there will be no long term negative effects.

Thanks for the second on that motion;)

• Like 1

my only desire to spray in the top coat is driven mostly by laziness. the particular project im going to be finishing has over 35 vertical slats. i can cover ground more quickly spraying (and probably more evenly) than i can wiping. but, if it is going to compromise the finish, i'll wipe the entire thing. only reason i wanted to lay the satin as a base is because i have a can of GF arm-r-seal satin poly. i have no local resources to get general finishes products locally so i can't just "pick up" the semi gloss unless i order it. i wanted to start finishing monday.

In this particular case, I doubt you'll have any trouble applying another brand of oil-based poly over Arm-R-Seal. I too am a "stick with a brand/system" kinda guy, but I find that to be a bigger issue when working with finishes that have a trickier chemistry, like water-based, solvent-based, and catalyzed products. Now I am personally not a fan of spraying oil-based finishes at all as I rarely have success with it, but that's a different story. :)

Ok verticle slats. If you want to spray something what about a couple spray cans of deft lacquer. Spraying an oilbased polyurethane gets pretty messy and stickey with the overspray.

Just curious, what are you working on?

I think I'm gonna scratch the spray idea all together. Until I can get an hvlp and start spraying water based finishes, I'll just continue wiping varnish. Btw, ACE I'm working on a bassinet for my son. He is due at the end of march.

Is it too late to think about pre-finishing those spindles before you assemble the project? That would make a lot of sense to me.

-- Russ

This is absolutely what I should have done. But being my first larger project, I got excited to start assembly and jumped the gun.