Buying a sprayer!!!

Jack Medure

Jack -

There are quite a few recent threads on this topic. Search for 'HVLP' or 'sprayer'.

I do not have one, but I've researched them a little - and I've also followed a lot of threads here on WTO and on other forums.

• In this market segment (sub $1000), it seems like in general you get what you pay for. Moving up the different price bands (300->500->700->1000) will get you higher psi and CFM, better quality spray gun parts (stainless versus plastic), better quality hoses, and quieter units.
  • Some issues, like the metal/plastic parts or durable hose, would matter for constant daily (production) use - but might not be a significant issue for a hobbiest.
  • From what I've read the first stumbling block for the less powerful units seems to be the ability to spray latex based paints. Some will say that the smaller units just cannot do it, with many people have managed good results with proper thinning.
  • For finishes other than latex, the more powerful units are deemed to offer better control and a better spray pattern, but most people who have the smaller units praise the results.
  • The lower priced systems don't have as many controls on air flow or spray pattern. This might or might not be an issue (if you've never needed it, you might not miss it) but they seem to be 'must have' options for those doing production-type work.

It sounds like budget is a significant concern, so price/performance would be paramount (versus just absolute performance). An Earlex 5500 might just fit your needs to dip your toes into the world of HVLP. The reviews I've seen praise the results, and the only possible hurdle you might face is if you plan to spray latex.

Thank for the info, I been reading a ton of reviews. I assume I will be using lightly. I mainly finish all of my projects with arm-a-seal it just seems to work really god for me but I wanted to give spraying a try.

I'm just a hobbyist and from what I read it seems like it will do a goo job, I will only be using it for top coats not really ever latex paint so I do t see it being a issue. I just a few min ago ordered it and a couple cans of GF poly/arc to give it a try.

I'm just a hobbyist and from what I read it seems like it will do a goo job, I will only be using it for top coats not really ever latex paint so I do t see it being a issue. I just a few min ago ordered it and a couple cans of GF poly/arc to give it a try.

I'm more or less in the same position, and I think you'll be pleased. I've used a Ajax and something else similar in the $1K range only a few times while shopping around at Woodcraft. Eventually I got the Earlex 5500 because, like yourself, my livelyhood isn't bound up in this and I don't spray all that often. I'd reccomend getting the other two tips as well (1.0mm and 2.0mm, 1.5mm is in the box I think) and the Earlex cleaning kit. The other tips will give you a broader range of things to try. Lots and lots of test pieces is another obvious reccomendation.

I had very good luck spraying GF Endurovar poly (waterbased), dewaxed shellac too. The trick to the poly was a lot of thin coats. Took a lot of discipline to spray it once and walk away even though it looked like it had almost nothing on it. Two or three coats later (totaling about five hours) my little award shelf looked really nice. Shellac was a lot more forgiving.

Also, something I've noticed is that the reccomended tip sizes in GF instruction did't work out so well. I typically go one size down (meaning the 1.0mm tip stays in the gun thus far); not sure why.

Also, something I've noticed is that the reccomended tip sizes in GF instruction did't work out so well. I typically go one size down (meaning the 1.0mm tip stays in the gun thus far); not sure why.

I've spoken with the guys at Earlex and they say the same thing - going down in tip size yields a better atomization, at the expense of product (less being sprayed). Even Latex paint (which I've sprayed successfully with the Earlex 5500) - try the 2mm or even the 1.5mm for a final coat.

Update on the earlex5500!

So i got the unit in and a few cans of polyacrylic needless to say i was excited to give it a try. After watching a few videos i was ready to set it up and go. I filled the can with some water to test it and clean it out. 1st mistake is when i attached the cup to the gun i tightened it to hard and bent the studs that hold th e cup on, water was leaking out needless to say i was really dissapointed. I called earlex and they sent out a replacment cup and i got it two days later. At this point i had concerns in quality.

Quality and build:

The unit really does seem to be built on the cheep end, but for $300.00 it meets expectations. I dont think it will really hold up being drug around a job site by ppl that might not take the best care of it, But again ecpected.

On the better side it is nice, small and porable with ease, the on board cord and hose storage is really nice to have. It really breaks down to a nice small package.

the gunb it self really does seem to be of good quality, i never sprayed wood but in the past i did a lot of spraying with automotive clear coates and paints and i would put this gun pretty darn close to any of my good guns, minius some adjustment features.

Now lets talk about spraying, once i got the replacment cup and put this thing threw a handfull of test is when i fell in love with it.

First i sprayed some laquer i had laying around the shop and even know it has only one adjusment for the amount of flow after about 3 or 4 bumps on the triger i was happy with the pattern, i used the 2mm needle and it really did a nice job. Nice even coates and honestly it produced a really great finish.

Next i sprayed some general finishes Polyacrylic water mased top coat and the little gun suat came to life. I used the 1.5mm needle and did not thin the product at all, strained and sprayed. i could put on a gad finish with this stuff if i tried. I already had pretty good spraying pratices from automotive work and thats all it really took. Not to mention the joys of using a water born finish it was really a pleasure to lay down coat after coat.

I did one with gloss and layed down three wet coates sanding between each and it really was a flawless finish. One the other test piece i wanted that close to the wood finish so i did 4 misting coates and sanded between each coat. Just as nice as any of my hand rubbrd finishes.

Over all the is an amazing sprayer, i have high expectations when it comes to finishing and this little guy blew them out of the water. I couldn't be any happier. I take care of all of my tools and i think this sprayer will do well in my shop.

Just my $.02

That's a real good deal. I paid $329 and an extra 35 for the 1.5 needle. Still worth every penny.

Just ordered a woodpeckers t square from them and they sent the wrong item. I have no problem with ppl making mistakes, it's how they handle them. Wood werks send a new one out the next day and the actual guy that Mis-packed it called me directly to let me know it's on the way and apolagize for his mistake. They earned my business in the future.

Update on the earlex5500!

Next i sprayed some general finishes Polyacrylic water mased top coat and the little gun suat came to life. I used the 1.5mm needle and did not thin the product at all, strained and sprayed. i could put on a gad finish with this stuff if i tried. I already had pretty good spraying pratices from automotive work and thats all it really took. Not to mention the joys of using a water born finish it was really a pleasure to lay down coat after coat.

Just my $.02

Try as close as you can get to a .8 to and see what you think.

Don