White Oak pricing

Pinto

Hey all, I could use some guidance...

Got a local lumberyard (Memphis,TN) offering me 100' of white oak @

• $2.35/bFt 4/4 FS
  • $5.35/bFt 8/4 FS
  • $5.35/bFt 4/4 QS

A buddy of mine (who knows less than I do about wood) brokered the deal, so I don't even know at this point if the wood is rough or surfaced but I have a planer (no jointer yet, but am building a planer sled to hold me over 'til I can afford one) so surfacing isn't a huge deal to me. I've met the lumberyard's owner & he seemed to be a pretty straight shooting guy. I've looked at a selection of his stock & it looked to be quality stuff.

Same guy also sells 4/4 S3S African Mahogany & Walnut for $7.85/bFt ($50/board)

So what's the frequency, Kenneth? Decent prices? Is he fleecing a n00b or is he offering a good deal?

I'd really appreciate any help you all can offer.

Lumber prices can be highly localized and grade specific.

Here's what my retail dealer in CT charges right now, for very reputable FAS White Oak:

White Oak 4/4 FAS/1F 4.05

10"&wider 4/4 FAS/1F 4.35

5/4 FAS/1F 4.80

8/4 FAS/1F 6.35

Qsawn 4/4 FAS/1F 6.50

Qsawn 5/4 FAS/1F 7.85

Qsawn 6/4 FAS/1F 8.20

Qsawn 8/4 FAS/1F 10.25

What do other dealers in your area charge?

Off the top of my head, I don't recall what the other yard I went to charged, I just seem to remember it being higher than this guy's pricing.

I definitely will check out the quality of the lumber before handing over any cash.. make sure it's relatively clear & unwarped w/ minimal checking.

Bottom line: I guess I need to do some more research.

Thanks for the responses!

In upstate N.Y. the pricing varies slightly from dealer to dealer all FAS;

4/4 $3.85 QS 4/4$ 6.40

5/4 $4.50 5/4 $6.75

6/4 $4.75 8/4 $10.46

8/4 $5.50

I deal mainly with a Mennonite who will saw anything; anyway I want at ridiculously low prices. The only down side is the availability can be random as to what they have on hand as well as their ability to dry up to 5/4, anything 6/4 and up I need to pay a premium at a dealer. I have a standing order where he will top off his kiln with WO,cherry or hard maple and I take all of it, usually between 100-150BF all select.

Yes, inquiring minds want to know - the price of wood in Northern VA can vary massively, so if you've got some places to recommend, let us know!

Personally, I find the prices at Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield to be very high. Their QSWO is 8.80/bf for 4/4, 9.90 for 5/4. Riftsawn is better at 4.90, but if you want 5/4 or better the prices get high (8/4 is 8.20 and 10/4 is 11.20!) Northland Forest products in Manassas can be dollars / board foot less (especially on cherry - I've seen 3-4 bucks a bf less at Northland)

Other NoVA or MD locations to recommend?

Where do you buy your wood? I live in Purcellvile and jump back & forth between Vienna (closer to work) & Berryville (closer to home) for my lumber.

I live in Winchester and go to Local Wood in Berryville. They have good prices and I know the owner. They usually have a large stock.

I have gotten tired of the outlandish prices of hardwoods. I have 2 solutions for myself. 1) I built an Alaskan sawmill (a chainsaw and a jig). I live near farmers who always have trees to remove or are down. 2) I purchased some rough sawn lumber out of a barn at an estate sale for $17.50 it was enough to fill my truck and a 16' trailer. It turned out to be white oak, red oak, poplar and some walnut.