Dust Collection suggestions for a noob?

jbs550

Hi all.

just recently joined and am currently working on the WHC. Anywho, my main question was if anyone has any suggestions for dust collection for my shop. Currently working in about a 3 car garage sized space. Have a 3.5HP grizzly TS, a 46" grizzly jointer (6"), a 14" grizzly bandsaw, a ridgid 13" benchtop planer, ridgid belt/spindle sander.

Right now I am pulling around a shopvac that doesn't even really connect to the openings (kinda just stick it in the opening when using it and clean up a lot after. I don't want to spend a small fortune, but just like everything else, I don't want to buy something that I am just going to want to replace in 6 months either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Jim

Hi Jim -

There are definitely different price bands that will get you different capabilities. Are you looking to stay with one that you move from tool to tool, or a more stationary unit (with longer hoses and piping)?

In the lower price band you can look at the Delta 50-760, the Grizzly 2HP unit, and the Harbor Freight 2HP unit. The HF used to come with a 30micron bag which should definitely be replaced with a better bag or canister.

If you want to go up in price you could get a stronger bag type unit or a small cyclone. If mobility is important, Laguna makes a portable cyclone unit (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30054).

If you use the planer and jointer a lot, then you might consider a pre-separator before any of the bag units, so you don't fill the bags quickly. There are many plans and posts online regarding this.

first you need to establish a budget for the item and that will do alot of the weeding for you. Personally i would check out craigs list and I personally have the harbor freight 2hp model with the canister filter upgrade from winn industries and im really happy- I have filled my bag 5 to 6 times now and the thing still runs like a champ. For the budget minded weekend guy the harbor freight model is tuff to beat.

A quick scan on e-bay turned up a half dozen double bag units that would more than fit your current and/or future needs. I picked mine up six years ago and a simple retrofit with an aftermarket cyclone and solid pipe system and I have all I need. Not to mention I spent less than half of what a new 2hp cyclone goes for. It all depends on where you see yourself a few years down the road? Planning on upgrading to larger tools or going with a solid pipe system or possibly larger work space will all impact your decision. One thing to keep in mind is that all this has resale value, if you decide you need to upgrade in the future you can recoup some if not all of your previous investment. I’ve bought and sold several pieces of equipment as my needs changed over the years and would figure I’ve broken even.

Unless your funds are "ah plenty"....check the used market - CL and Ebay. Personally, I try to stay away from production shop stuff - like when the CL picture shows a unit and there are all sorts of machines in the background and a 2000 square ft shop...you know it's been used like a cheap mule. I like to see it in a hobbiest's garage and he's finally given up on this whole woodworking thing. The thing that baffles me though is how some people try to sell their stuff and seemingly have not even looked at what's available for what price - rule of thumb is half the price of new for a used toy but some people out there are living in a dream world - like the CL ad that had no picture and said "table saw for sale, in good shape, $600...price firm". Jim, it sounds like you have some nice tools and your space, serenity, and lungs will definitely benefit from a nice DC system. My climate is different from many friends above and where I live, I can basically exhaust into the back yard if I want and replacing the air isn't a concern so all of that plays into it. I'm a fan of clean air - my dad passed away 6 years ago from lung complications so I'm more aware now. If you're not wanting to replace the air, definitely spend the money like the others said for the nice filters. I want to be around for a few more decades.

thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately, in el paso, there is never anything available on CL. I will check out ebay. will probably be moving in a few years and will be building a house at that point, with a built in shop. will probably be about the same size space, but will be better organized. Don't plan to upgrade my tools for quite a while at this point. tried to just buy the biggest I thought I was going to ever need as a hobbyist.

jsiard, didn't know you could convert to a cyclone with aftermarket additions. I will look into that. mind telling me what exactly you got? since it works for you pretty well, it seems?

thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately, in el paso, there is never anything available on CL. I will check out ebay. will probably be moving in a few years and will be building a house at that point, with a built in shop. will probably be about the same size space, but will be better organized. Don't plan to upgrade my tools for quite a while at this point. tried to just buy the biggest I thought I was going to ever need as a hobbyist. jsiard, didn't know you could convert to a cyclone with aftermarket additions. I will look into that. mind telling me what exactly you got? since it works for you pretty well, it seems?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, have been away on a long overdue vacation! As for the cyclone unit I looked at several and even considered making one before I settled on one that I found on e-bay, I can’t seem to get the link to work but his seller's name is eastcaroga, if you just search cylclone dust collector on e-bay you will find it. I got the 6" unit.

I used spiral pipe and smooth bore fittings, originally I considered PVC but after pricing all the components and weighing the pros and cons of each going with steel was the logical choice. I work with large and small diameter PVC on a regular basis so I am well versed in all aspects of installation, believe me when I say that steel is far easier to work with whether it is 6” or 2”. There is no doubt PVC will work equally well but as far as ease of installation and most importantly retrofitting, steel is by far the best choice. I made my own hanging brackets out of ¾” plywood and pipe straping.

I moved into my new shop space three years ago and installed my permanent duct system almost two years ago, to date I’ve reconfigured the system once and expect to do it again when I replace my jointer with a jointer/planer combo. I just went through all my receipts dedicated to the DC system and my total investment was $927 including the original cost of the DC, aftermarket cyclone, pipe, fittings, rivets, sealing tape, blast gates, pleated filter, circle cutter to make the brackets even the trash can.

All the pipe and most of the fittings came from the blast gate co. (blastgateco.com) the 6” wyes I got from Lowes for $14 ea. As opposed to $51.