half laps

Been trying my hand at some half laps but not quite hitting the mark.

They're always a little bit off, hi or low.

Using a pos ryobi tablesaw and a borrowed dado stack of unknown origin.

Everything else is coming out great taking into consideration my limited resources, so I'm able to do well enough with this tablesaw, so not sure I'm setting up for the half laps correctly.

So what I'm getting at is: how do you set up for half laps?

For me, it is easier to show you than it is to explain it. If you would like, I could show you how I set them up. I have a cam in my shop and if you would like I can do a little demo for you. Also, I just dont like typing that much. It is hard for me to put in words what I am thinking.

That would be awesome. Not sure how that works though, so hope you don't mind guiding me through that too?

Thanks for the quick reply

If you go to the live page, on the main site, there is a chat room in there. There are also some boxes that you can load live streams in. Mine is called "Sac's Woodshop". I am available most of the time. Just let me know when you are available and we can see if we can work something out.

I work nights, and mon/tue are my days off this week so any time Tuesday would be great. How's 3pm EST for you?

That is tomorow... ummmm.. today. That should be OK. I will get up tomorrow... today, and get some stuff ready. I will meet you in the chatroom.

How about getting close, may be slightly oversize with your table saw and then fitting the joint with a hand plane? Depending on the size you could use a 10-1/2 Lie-Nielsen Bench Rabbet plane, or a block rabbet plane, or a shoulder plane and this way you will be able to control the perfect fit.

Been trying my hand at some half laps but not quite hitting the mark.

They're always a little bit off, hi or low.

Using a pos ryobi tablesaw and a borrowed dado stack of unknown origin.

Everything else is coming out great taking into consideration my limited resources, so I'm able to do well enough with this tablesaw, so not sure I'm setting up for the half laps correctly.

I tried a couple of different ways, dado heads, band saw, none worked for me. I built a holding jig similar to the one shown in a book by Bill Hylton, titled "Power-Tool Joinery". It is shown on pages 104 and 105. I modified it to ride in the miter guage slot to the right of the blade. I also made it so that the adjustment for verical cut width was adjusted by a threaded rod. I cut the horizontal cut was made on a table saw sled. This, in conjunction with making certain the blade was perpendicular to the saw table, made very nice faces to be glued. It did take some careful setup using scrap pieces, but it was worth the effort. I made 75 frames for storm windows and screens, 3 panels each for 25 large windows, for our house. That is 1200 cuts all total, 16 per frame. I still have to make the frames for the smaller windows. The joints are all half laps which I think work well. A tenon joint can be made on the same fixture. I'm not much good adding attachments, but I'll try to add some pictures to clarify the text as soon as I can.

I use a 2 step process for lap joints. First I cut the notches slightly shallow using the table saw. If I have a lot to do, I'll load up the dado blades, otherwise I'll just use the regular blade and make lots of cuts.

I then switch over to the router table. I use a 'clean out' bit that cuts up to 3/16" deep and has a guide bearing below the cutting edge. The bearing runs against the sides of the lap and the height of the bit determines the fit of the lap. I can sneak up on a very good fit and have nice smooth glue surfaces without groves from the saw blade.

This works down to about 5/8 thick stock. Thinner than that and the bearing misses the edge.

Sac, your tips were awesome and I made good progress the other day, but my saw doesn't have a blade height lock so I'm shopping for a saw. Thanks again for the demo.

Never thought to go to the router table, thought it was entirely a table saw thing.

Sweet, more experimenting to do!

Thanks for all the tips guys!