My Dust Collection Dilemma

dcheels@gmail.com

Hello all,

I've been wanting to improve my dust collection. I currently use a 10 year old Jet DC-1100 and only run one machine at a time in a medium sized basement shop. About 2 years ago I added a Wynn Filter and made a plywood ring to mount in on. It also has a remote control. I know I could impove my ductwork, shop layout, and all of my connections and have also considered a separator.

The Jet is pretty good but I HATE removing and emptying the collection bag and I also don't particularly care for the Y-shape dual input connector.

I got to thinking (dangerous) and looking around the web(even worse) and pretty much decided on a trash can separator with a baffle but then I started giving a cyclone consideration. Then, I started figuring I would be better off just buying a cyclone system such as the Grizzly G0703. I know it is small and the cfm isn't great, but the cyclone would help.

My head says to add the separator and fix my ductwork. My heart says just get the cyclone and be done. I probably have a buyer for my Jet if I want to sell it.

As I see it, these are the options:

1. Do nothing but fix the ducts and connections along with shop layout.

2. Do #1 but add the trash can separator.

3. Add a cyclone separator, either pre-fab or make one. I don't particulary want to re-locate the jet motor, so it would stay at the bottom, just as if I just did a trash can separator. Don't know if $200-$400 for just a cyclone is worth it.

4. Buy the G0703 and sell my Jet.

Anything else? I'm not great with sheet metal and would have to buy the cyclone. I'd appreciate any inputs and also would like to hear or see what other have done with their Jet or similar collectors.

Thanks!

Couple of edits:

The Wynn filter I have does not have a cleaning paddle so I've had to clean it with a shop vac a few times.

I don't really have a lot of time to work on modifying my current system beyond a trash can separator. So no major changes such as relocating my motor, wall mounting, etc.

I don't have the capacity to add another 220v circuit. I already added one for my Cabinet saw and I'm out of room in my panel.

Thanks for looking!

5. Buy the G0703 and keep your Jet. One reason for a high HP DC is to handle a long run of ductwork. If you can spare the space in your shop, you could have each DC connected to a small ductwork layout. Just mentioning it as an option you overlooked. [EDIT, if you only ran one DC at a time, you could get by without an additional 220V circuit]

I'm in a similar position: I have an old Jet 1200 with a Wynn filter, and I haven't decided how much work I should put into retrofitting the Jet, vs buying a more powerful and better designed unit. The jet is an old one with an "air ramp".

By the way, it seemed odd to me to buy a fancy Wynn filter for the DC, and then use furnace filters to build a shop-made air cleaner. I asked Wynn about it and they told me that the filters they sell for small DC upgrades were originally designed for air cleaners. So, one filter could be used for both functions.

That option isn't really an option! :) If I shell out $800 for the Griz, I need to recoup some of the money back by selling the Jet.

Right now, I have the table saw and a dewalt planer going to the 2 inputs on the Jet with 4" flex hose. I switch in the bandsaw and stationary sander as necessary. I'd like to move up to a single 6" run with everything hooked up all the time and use gates as necessary.

well here is my advice i think the cyclone is great but its not a perfect solution. you could get a 55 gal drum build a seperator and just dump your biger stuff in the 55 and empty the dust colllector as needed. but here is a few links for something you can build yourself.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-cyclone-chip-separator-for-a-dust-collect/step2/The-recepticle/ this is a larger cheap unit at menards i think for $300

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-Cyclone-Bucket-Dust-Collector/ this is a great bucket to put on shop vac and hook to a single machine.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/cycloneplan.cfm this guy has some great plans/ info that you might be able to sift through and come up with some data

http://www.woodworkerswebsite.com/cyclone3.html basicly suction in one hose and all your dust dumps strait into a bin and does not even inter the fan/filter

in the classroom i have a 55 gal drum set up with one hose providing suction and and the other hose just dumping all dust into 55 gal drum that way we only have to dump it every couple weeks rather then ever couple days.

good luck let us know what you figure out

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions. I think at this point I'm leaning towards a separator and baffle with improved shop layout and ductwork. I can always add a cyclone or swap out the whole thing in the future. I think with what I already have invested I should be able to have a decent system.

Kevmc, I have the Wynn 35A filter but didn't realize they had a cleaner plan on the website. Thanks.