Slab issue

AlexPeel

So I have glued up the slabs and after removing the clamps I realized I have a slight problem with the front slab.

On one end there is a gap between two of the boards that I can see light through that runs about 6-8 inches. I will be cutting off some of this but I dont think that will be more then 5 inches. So on the final size I expect that this area will still be included.

Looks like there was some snipe causing a high spot right at the end of one of the boards keeping them slightly apart. That and probably not enough clamping pressure.

Is this something that I need to address? I figure pouring additional PVA glue into this gap will not do much, as PVA is not gap filling and wont bond to itself when dry. I have epoxy and am figuring I could fill the crack with this.

Any other suggestions?

I would first not worry about it at all unless it's causing you trouble. Then I would fill with epoxy. Just blue tape around the end and underneath and pour in the epoxy. May take a couple of times to get it all the way filled. Epoxy is easily leveled with a hand plane or scraper on the surface - no big deal.

Might be a fun excuse to put a bowtie across the gap then fill it. If you're just going to fill it with epoxy, you'll want to thicken it either with epoxy fillers or sawdust; when it's near the top, push in a long wedge; likely will completely hide the gap. Not a bad chance to practice a fix.

I have found the slow hardener to be less viscous. But these are not brand new cans either. Over time, the regular hardener becomes a caramel color and gets a little thicker. The slow hardener seems to stay clear and hasn't thickened up much at all. When they are fresh, either hardener would be adequately "pourable" for filling applications.

Well after looking at the temperature ratings between the slow (206) and fast (205) I had to go with the fast. Just slightly to cold for the slow.

I was able to saw along the seam and remove the hump that was keeping the wood apart. I then made a little container out of tape to dam in the epoxy. Poured the epoxy, and waited for an hour then I clamped it up. Reason I waited so long to clamp is to let the epoxy fully penetrate the crack, as it was very thin already. I then removed the excess epoxy, which was much thicker at this point, and the tape.

The crack seems to have closed nicely.

I ran into the same problem on the first slab I built. Didn't notice the gap on the dry fit, but then noticed it after pulling the clamps off after glue up. Fortunately I'm building a shorter version of the bench and I had enough board length to get around the problem. The lesson learned here for the second slab was to hand plane off any irregularity caused by snipe. The second slab was perfect. Nice job on your fix.