Table saw blade guard

Renzo

I am using the blade guard that came with my table saw, but i'm not happy with it.

It's the usual type that is flat on the bottom and I notice sometimes I have to give the workpiece a bit of a harder nudge to get under it.

Can anyone recommend an after market guard (something designed more like the saw stop one that is curved) It doesn't need to be an overhead one.

Ha! My Sawstop blade guard has the same problem, I have to give it a nudge to get the wood under it. I have the old style, without the dust collection port. I asked the guy at Woodcraft and he said, "I never noticed that - actually. most people just remove the guard and use the riving knife." <_<

EDIT: The problem was caused by some rough plastic left from the casting. A few strokes with a file has solved it.

I really liked the blade guard design on the Bosch 4100. I've seen the same design on other brands of saws. It worked well, and if part of it was in the way you didn't have to remove the whole thing. All the parts were easy to take off and put back on.

I hear rave reviews of the Shark Guard. Has great visibility, good dust collection, and has the rounded nose of a shark. I had a PM64 before the SawStop PCS and this was on my short list for it.

Eeck website from 1997. :) That almost looks likea home-made solution. Not sure I want to go that route.

Ha! My Sawstop blade guard has the same problem, I have to give it a nudge to get the wood under it. I have the old style, without the dust collection port. I asked the guy at Woodcraft and he said, "I never noticed that - actually. most people just remove the guard and use the riving knife." <_<

I really liked the blade guard design on the Bosch 4100. I've seen the same design on other brands of saws. It worked well, and if part of it was in the way you didn't have to remove the whole thing. All the parts were easy to take off and put back on.

While I'm not super proud of it, that's what I did with my Sawstop. I'm always very aware of where my hands are (usually using a sled or miter gauge for most of my cuts, which naturally keeps my hands away from the blade) and with the added protection of the sawstop I feel comfortable. I'm more afraid of kickback, but I'd be too cautious to take the guard off an unprotected saw.

While the OP isn't asking for a SawStop, since it came up I'll mention that you can buy the new blade guard with dust port separately from SawStop. Here for the contractor saw. Here for the ICS. Note the ICS link points to a big dust collection upgrade; you can buy the blade guard alone. Unsure the pricing. I have the new guard that came with the PCS and it is never a hinderance; does great on the dust, too.

And, yes, Renzo, that site is like Web 0.2. Thing is, lots of people like it, but you'd want to check to see if he still makes them. He makes them himself. People love the BORK also and it's made by the creator on a simple web site. Just saying :)

I'm sure it's the design. It's basically a rectangle that is somewhat parallel to the table.

Found it! The design is fine. There was a minor manufacturing flaw. The bottom edge on the front of the guard was a little rough from the molding, and that was catching on the wood, if the wood hit at the right angle and if the wood had a sharp corner. A few strokes with a file and the problem is all gone. I'm going to edit my previous posts so that Sawstop doesn't get unfairly maligned by people googling for reviews.

I'm with Vic on this one. I also have the Excalibur overarm blade guard and I love it. move the guard to the height you need and it stays put. If you need to move the guard out of the way the whole thing slides over. Plus the added benefit of the dust collection. A little pricey but the safety the guard gives and the dust collection, I think its well worth it. High Quality too.

http://www.tools-plus.com/general-woodworking-machinery-50-exbc.html