philadelphia area residents, where do you get your wood?

Ken Wilsbach

It's not on Woodfinder, but Delaware County Supply has a pretty decent yard. They are right off Chichester Ave. off of I95 South just before you get into Delaware. They are a True Value Hardware store attached to a pretty big lumber yard and millwork shop. They can be a little pricey for stuff like Walnut, Cherry and Mahogany, but they are so close to me that I'll pay the difference rather than spend the extra money on gas to drive an hour to Hearne or Groff if I only need one or two boards. If I need a big load, or specialty stuff (matched flitches, really wide boards, etc.), then I'll make the drive out to Hearne.

No Mike is open everyday of the week. He lives onsite with some stray cats. He's got a weird setup but he's a nice Guy that knows a boatload about wood. The.only.day he verbally told me he is closed is sunday (unless you call ahead and are planning on spending some serious cash). I would suggest calling ahead regaurdless.

Something to be aware of on asking for cuts is grading standards. Depending on the species and what standard a particular dealer uses, most hardwood grades include a minimum length and width of the rough board.

With many typical American hardwoods that my local dealer sells, the minimum size to be top (FAS) grade is often 6" wide and 8 ' long. This varies by species, but is rarely less than 4' long. If the board is smaller than either minumum size for the species, it's a lower grade and should be priced accordingly.

This is why some dealers get scruffy with those who don't purchase the entire board, and also why dealers like Home Depot are ripping people off by selling 2 foot long boards at the same price as long examples.

Of course, it might not hurt if more dealers either posted a sign or whipped up a simple handout that explained this, instead of getting annoyed. :blink:

My usual local dealer is also a flooring, molding, and stake mill, so he's really good at finding profitable uses for sub-grade stock, as opposed to foisting it on the unknowing.

"Wherungs Specialty Woods" in up in Ottsville is where i typically go , im right in Hatboro. it takes about 45 mins to get there but the staff is really nice and helpfull, i was just up there this past weekend and picked up about about 40 Bf of genuine mahogany ( some rough 8/4 ,rough 5/4 and s2s 4/4, spent about $380 so the prices arent bad, they will also fax you a price list if you call them. They have a good variety of domestic and a smaller but decent selection of exotics . Its closer to me than Hearn and probably likewise for you, im going to have to look up the Mike Quinn guy becuase if he has decent stock , that will save 45 mins of driving time. But everyone at Specialty Wood has always been really nice and helpfull. Another thing with Specialty is thier cutting policy- they will cut down boards as long as there is at least 6' left on the board you are not takeing, they also have a good amount of "shorts" that are sold at a discount price becuase they are 6' and 7' long , they are also mostly S2S to 13/16".

"Wherungs Specialty Woods" in up in Ottsville is where i typically go , im right in Hatboro. it takes about 45 mins to get there but the staff is really nice and helpfull, i was just up there this past weekend and picked up about about 40 Bf of genuine mahogany ( some rough 8/4 ,rough 5/4 and s2s 4/4, spent about $380 so the prices arent bad, they will also fax you a price list if you call them. They have a good variety of domestic and a smaller but decent selection of exotics . Its closer to me than Hearn and probably likewise for you, im going to have to look up the Mike Quinn guy becuase if he has decent stock , that will save 45 mins of driving time. But everyone at Specialty Wood has always been really nice and helpfull. Another thing with Specialty is thier cutting policy- they will cut down boards as long as there is at least 6' left on the board you are not takeing, they also have a good amount of "shorts" that are sold at a discount price becuase they are 6' and 7' long , they are also mostly S2S to 13/16".

that sounds great. I would love to be purchasing S2S as i dont feel like adding a jointer and planer to my purchase list at this time.

Like I said, he's got a weird setup. No signs, but he is legit and has been in that same location for years. I would also suggest not asking him to cut up boards. He doesn't get mad but I can sense he gets irritated when you try to leave him with 2 feet of something.

So where is he and what's his contact info?