Surface clamping options

Ben H

I finally picked up a Domino last week, and I'm looking for idea's on bench clamping stock. I thought about building some kind of mdf "sled" that would clamp to the bench and mortise a few of those Kreg plates into it, but honestly, I'm not interested in spending $100.00 for two vise grips :)

What are other Domino users using to hold wood in place while using it?

I finally picked up a Domino last week, and I'm looking for idea's on bench clamping stock. I thought about building some kind of mdf "sled" that would clamp to the bench and mortise a few of those Kreg plates into it, but honestly, I'm not interested in spending $100.00 for two vise grips :)

What are other Domino users using to hold wood in place while using it?

I use the kreg. The price may seem high but they are worth every penny. Leigh makes a similar product if you have a more traditional style bench but are about the same price.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Bessey auto adjust toggle clamps. About $20 each at Peachtree Woodworking for the large size. Screw them down and then it is easy to relocate as needed. Quick to slap a couple of clamps and hold a part while cutting the mortises . I move the same 2 clamps to all sorts of jigs, (4) 1 1/4 long pan head square drive screws in each clamp into a 3/4 plywood strip as a fence on top of a 3/4 plywood base. I have gone from 1/2 thick stock for drawers to 8/4 parts without adjusting a clamp!

As I don't have a decent workbench (yet), the low-cost way I typically clamp down wood - typically for hand planing - is to use a pair of wood handscrews clamps to clamp and hold the edge. Then those handscrews get clamped down onto my table saw top via another set of clamps (my shortest Jet clamps work very well). Since the saw is so heavy, the wood doesn't go anywhere when I handplane.

Bessey auto adjust toggle clamps, the small ones, are on sale this weekend at Peachtree Woodworking! Normal $20 on sale for$12 each. I use the bigger ones but either size has an amazing capacity to clamp parts while you biscuit or Domino. There is a little knob that lets you adjust the clamping force, once it is set the clamp applies that force to any thickness part. I have swapped between 1/2 ply to 1 3/4 thick solid wood at the same setting.

Set it for maximum clamping pressure and you really have to press the handle down hard to get it to lock.

It can clamp so hard that it left clamp marks on some soft basswood. I backed the pressure down untill no marks were left and the parts still stayed rock steady while I plunged the Domino cuts.