Water based Poly started giving me trouble on my final coat!

firefli

I'm new to woodworking and I'm finishing a nightstand I made. This is my first finishing project and I've learned a few things along the way, However, I had completed three coats of water based Poly by minwax, and it was looking surprisingly good in my opinion. I had used 220 to scuff between each coat and after I applied the fourth coat I noticed It had some streaks. I start off by making sure I stir the Poly in the can. Then I poured about enough for the job in too a secondary container. I sealed the can and applied the finish. I would do this for each coat and make sure that the secondary container was clean before following the procedure again for the next coat. I'm not sure why I had streaks on the fourth coat. Could it be because the finish has started aging since I opened the can? I tried to sand it down and do it again but I had the same results. Oh how I wish I stopped at the third coat. I guess it's part of the learning curve. Anyway, I'll sure appreciate any tips or insight into what happened. From what I've read it seems to indicate that I didn't stir the can enough but I was sure to stir it just as much as I did for the first three.

Thanks in advanced,

Robert

you can sand it down a bit and try geting it even then use wip on poly to finish it. i prefer to use a wip on poly as there is fewer streaking or driping as long as you vigulant. the wipe on is cut with something so i dont know how to thin it down after you buy the regular. i just buy it at the store since i dont go throught that much as i prefer a cut shellac finish. what do you use to apply you finish? i prefer to use a home made brush that i make from the furniture padding you buy at a craft/fabric store. if you serous you might want to think about geting a spray unit and spray you finishes onto you projects its much faster and gives a better finish.

So far I've tried sanding and redoing it, but I get the streaks every time. Im not sure what I'm doing differently, but I can't get it right anymore. I'm tempted to use an oil based aerosol, but that doesn't seem like a very cost effective way to go. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...