Anybody have one of these?

NYHump

Hi All,

I need to make some circles and was wondering if anybody has one of these Rockler ellipe/circle jig. I need to know the smallest circle I can rout. I know it would depend on the dia. of the router bit so lets just say 1/4 dia. No place in the review does it say how small it will go.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17282&tagem=rv

Thanks,

NYHump

You can find excellent instructions in Patrick Spielman's book The New Router Handbook.

It's $12.92 on Amazon or check your local library.

He covers cutting small circles of various sizes using shop built jigs. I would tell you the page but I loaned out my copy.

BTW, it's a great reference book to have in the shop.

Keith

You can find excellent instructions in Patrick Spielman's book The New Router Handbook.

It's $12.92 on Amazon or check your local library.

He covers cutting small circles of various sizes using shop built jigs. I would tell you the page but I loaned out my copy.

BTW, it's a great reference book to have in the shop.

Keith

Keith,

I have that book, but was hoping to just buy a circle jig that would work for me. I called Rockler on the one they have and the min is 9" so that won't work for me. Guess I'll have to make something. You would think that with all the stuff out there someone would have a circle jig that can makes circles, inside and outside from 3 1/2" to 8"

Thanks

For small circles I just drill a 1/16 hole in the router base at the appropriate distance and use a 4d finish nail with the head clipped off for a pivot. Minimum size is limited by the cutout in the base, for really small holes use a piece of polycarb for a base and plunge the 1/4" bit through. Or just use a larger bit sized to the hole you want.

HTH,

Bill

For small circles I just drill a 1/16 hole in the router base at the appropriate distance and use a 4d finish nail with the head clipped off for a pivot. Minimum size is limited by the cutout in the base, for really small holes use a piece of polycarb for a base and plunge the 1/4" bit through. Or just use a larger bit sized to the hole you want.

HTH,

Bill

Bill,

Great idea, now why didn't I think of that..duh......

Thanks, that I believe will work nicely :)

NYHump