Rockler house router bits

Ben H

Whats the census on Rockler's house bits? Crap? Decent? Holy smokes you can't beat them for the money? Anyone got an inside track on who makes them, and where? I need a few new bits and thought I'd give them a try. I have a few Woodcraft bits, there.....ok. Cut well at first, but don't seem to last very long.

I have to say I don't own a mess of their bits, but have a few different of their bits (template, flush trim, straight, slot cutter) and I have found them to be pretty good overall quality. I will say however that I don't use these bits all the time though, so I can't really speak to the long term quality of them, but have used my 3/4" straight bit on a mess of half lapped mdf pieces where it was constantly hogging out quite a bit of material and it never gave me a problem. Sometimes though there isn't a huge price difference between their msrp price and some of freud's or whiteside's bits so I typically only pick them up when I can use a coupon or if they are on sale. Good luck!

I like them, especially when they go on sale! The ones I buy from them are the smaller bits though, mainly roundover and rabbet. Their plywood bits are excellent too. They work so well I'm considering selling my Freud Dial a Dado set.

I will say though that i have never bought any of Rockler's large bit sets. There doesn't seem to be that much of a price difference between theirs and the Freud bits so I just stick with the Freud.

I have some Rockler bits that are still working well (double-bearing shear flush is great). Like others have said, when not on sale, the price might be close enough to WhiteSide to not make it worth it.

I only have a couple Woodcraft bits that I got when they were cleared out. I get more chipout with them, too.

Now I usually just go to Eagle America. Their Eagle America bits are very good and so are their Price Cutters. If you're a guild member, you get free shipping on orders >= $50.

I prefer MLCS bits. They don't cost a fortune, they have a wide selection and they have good customer service. For certain bits they have tutorial videos for them too.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routerbit.html

Do you use their Katana bits, or the others?

I like both their regular bits and Katana. I use Katana for my cabinet doors. I mean, $164.00 to $185.00 for a door set is a great price. I use all their carbide bits for other work. I really like their downcut solid carbide bits. $35.00 for solid carbide is a steal, that and it works really well.