How to sand this door?

tenonman

Hello all, Iam refinishing my front door and would like some ideas as to how to get it ready.there are many drips and globs of finish from the previous owner,and spots where the finish has started to peel.I live in palm desert and the door gets some morning sunlight and some sand blasting when windy.I was planing on useing Marc's finish from his "desert outdoor finish".I have alot of sanding to do,the flat parts are easy,but, as you can see there is 18 recessed panels with a small molding.That is what I need help with.Would a sanding mop work?(on a power drill) I dont have a curved scrapper but I would get one if it was the tool for the job.thanks for reading and any advice you have.

jamison

cant get pics to upload will have to work on that.the door is 42x94 with 18 recessed panles that look like a raised panel they are 9x12.thanks for any help.

I'm afraid sanding would ruin crisp edges and ultimately look sloppy. I second a chemical stripper in conjunction with lots of scraping.

I had a bunch of nice fir, four panel doors in my old house. I took them to a refinished. He had a big bath to strip them. I'm just not a fan of refinishing.

(null)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but patience and time along with the right tools ( think, notch knives ) and a good work space/ environment is all you need. I don't remember reading if you said it was unhinged/ pulled out of your framing but if it is then just put it on the ground, not during rainy season obviously, slap on your iPod and with some elbow grease and an overall good workout, you will have a new door/ canvas. Just don't try to stain this way :), the sand might cause a problem.

If its hinged and being used as you work on it, even a little, then I'm with Vic. Buy a new one.

That is a big door, and not a standard size either. The sanding mop will round crisp molding details and it will not take off drips either.

If the door is going to stay hung while you work I would use scrapers. Learn how to keep them sharp. Start near the bottom so any mistakes or gouges you make learning are below eye level. With a little practice it can be faster than sanding.

Another approach is heat gun, scraper and fine wire brush. Be careful not to scorch the wood.