Butcher block island finish

jaho

Can you give any suggestions for a good finish on a 30"X74" butcher block island top? Beside the normal mineral oil or vegetable oil. Also do you have any better finish options for finishing cabinetry or interior trim work besides a pre cat lacquer? It works great but the smell is really getting to me. I have to use it a lot in my business and looking for more water based options.

If they were my butcher block counter tops, I would use varnish as per this article: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/cutting-board-finish/

But many folks, including most clients, will prefer a more "natural" solution. So something like a polymerized tung oil would be a good option. Check out Tried & True for that.

And concerning water-based materials, I honestly haven't tested much of what is out there. But I have had luck with General Finishes EnduroVar line. It is a very nice looking finish and quite durable too. Much less in the way nasty fumes lingering in the shop.

Moving this to the Finishing forum for future reference.

Try this link below. It's to General Finishes professional water-based products.

http://www.generalfi...sanding-sealers

In my opinion the Clear Poly can't be beat, the lacquer is cheaper a for items not requiring a ton of protection. The Pre-Cat urethane is marketed against solvent conversion varnishes or sometimes spoken as 2k finishes. Hope this helps.

-Ace-