has anyone ever made lathe duplicator?

duckkisser

hey i want a duplicator but i was looking at the ones at penn state 120 dollers. i figure i can do better by making one they dont look that complicated. just a point of contact and a carbide cutter. my delta 46-460 with extension makes it 42 inches long. want to make a duplicator that is both useful for small stuff as small as a inch and as large as a the length of my bed minus the tailstock (guessing 30 inches). i figure the hardest part is geting a bed mounted to the lathe that i wont have to move around much perhaps leave it on all the time and just add my cantact cutter too it when i want to duplicate things like drum sticks. what can i use for a cutter i know drill bits are made from high speed steel and few other tools like hack saw blades. what could i adapt to cut with on the lathe?

ok going to make a flat surface with some nobs to turn down and hold the template in place. as for the acutal cutter why cant i just take a block of wood and drill a hole in the front one for the contact point and one for the blade............only what is the blade going to be.

I'd suggest a block that you can change the cutter. That way you can go from scraper to skew without issue. Or, look into getting some of the Harbor Freight chisels. Their cheap enough to go through without fear.

Alternatively, you could go with something like the Easy Wood carbide cutters.

thanks guys ya i have seen the teen wood wood worker and his lathe duplicator.......this kid makes me so mad where does he get off being like 16 and knows more about wood working then me :)

im thinking ill eather get some high speed steel that way i can shapen them myself or use a old lathe tool. was kinda hoping to cut up a drill bit and make that work but dont know the best way to grind it down for that. anyone know if there is a special angle or shape drill bits have to ground down so they will work like this but my bed will be longer

. 525x525px-LL-030acc16_vbattach208546.jpg

ok i give up im just not up to doing this myself right now. and i cant get my duplicator to be stable enough. my tool wont track well and my drill bit blade wont cut even. i even mounted my lathe tool to a holder but it just wont work right. used several different metal blades, but my holder is not heavy or mounted well enough. decided that ill just have to buy one.

this will mostly be for smaller stuff so i can make duplicates of handles, wistle, calls, pens ect....would like to be able to make table legs but ill just have to get good at doing it by hand. i know vega is a great tool but it expensive and since im not going to be duplicating masive numbers of projects can i get away with the 120 price range tools. if anyone has any expierence please let me know.

http://www.pennstate...e/VMIDUP24.html

http://www.pennstate...e/CML-DUPU.html

http://www.pennstate...e/CML-DUPJ.html