shellac for a countertop?

rodger.

A counter where? Shellac is said to be vulnerable to heat, water stains and redissolves in alcohol. The solubility thing disqualifies it from, say, a bar. But I have no experience with the other two vulnerabilities.

Personally, I'd like to see a Mythbusters-style showdown here: i.e. Shellac may be damaged by heat, but is is vulnerable to temperatures that are otherwise safe for, say, polyurethane. Or, is it the case that when things get too hot for shellac, you're also going to burn marks into poly as well?

We have quite a bit of older English furniture that is French Polished (shellac/wax) - you really do have to treat these surfaces with kid gloves or they will get damaged. Alcohol (as mentioned) dissolves it, but shellac is also not very wear resistant and does not handle water well...

I do love shellac and use it on many of my finishes (as a sealer often) but it would make a poor counter top finish IMHO

Lawrence

I shellacked a antique dinning table. Terrible idea.

It didn't take long to start showing abuse from minor use.

I have repaired the damage and top coated with general finishes high performance top coat.

Shellac is my favorite finish and use it any chance I get. It can't handle heavy use without a durable topcoat. If you are gonna topcoat shellac use the wax free sealer.