Table Saw question for the experts - Delta

sdkidaho

54" Delta Unisaw with outfeed table attachment, many blades and jigs.

delta1.jpg

delta2.jpg

delta4.jpg

delta3.jpg

delta5.jpg

delta6.jpg

I know those aren't the best pictures but they are all I have.

I have a chance to get this table saw for $900.00. I don't -need- a table saw yet, nor do I use one a lot at present (Dad has one I can borrow), but I'm wondering if it's stupid to let this deal go by, or if it's even a good deal?

The other table saw I was considering was maybe this one, brand new:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2063430/23152/Jet-10-Proshop-Tablesaw-with-30-ProShop-Fence-System.aspx

Are any of you familiar enough with Delta to give me an opinion? I'm guessing the saw is mid 80's as far as when it was built.

Thanks.

Hmm... It's hard to compare because they are rather different. The biggest differences I see are that the Delta has the older right-tilt setup whereas the Jet is left tilt. The Jet also has a pretty wimpy motor at 1-3/4 horsepower. You do realize that the Delta is 220, right? As long as you've got the wiring, it should theoretically have more power. You don't list any specs for it though, so I'm just guessing. The other thing I see is that the Delta seems to have a much wider fence rail and it also comes with the rollaround wheels, which you may or may not care about. I do use the ones on mine once in a while and they do make life a whole lot easier when you need them.

As far as all the accessories, I'd just compare the tables and not even think about those. Looks like mostly pushblocks, which you can make, and as far as all those blades are concerned, they may be good, but I haven't purchased a used machine yet where I didn't immediately have to throw away the blades and get new ones.

lastly, (and this is just my personal feeling) the Jet is, well, a Jet, which immediately disqualifies it in my book. I know others will disagree, but I rate Jet at about the same level with Harbor Freight, which isn't to say it's automatically bad, but I've always found their stuff a bit suspect. Again, that view is based solely on my personal experience and not on any kind of scientific evaluation, but at the very least, I wouldn't think that the Jet should cost more than about $500. It really is just a budget saw with legs and a better fence.

You don't give any actual specs for the delta, but assuming it's in good shape, I think you could look at the Delta as an investment, whereas the Jet is more of just a temporary fix, if that makes any sense. The equivalent new Delta cabinet saw is going to cost you somewhere around $2,000 or so these days, so $800 for that one is probably just about right or maybe a tiny bit high.

I don't think you'll ultimately know unless you actually check it out and see how it works. If it feels right, it's a good deal. On the other hand, if you say you have access to one now and you don't use it much, you might want to take that $800 and invest it in quality tools that you will use a lot right away and wait with a table saw purchase until you actually need it and have had more experience using one so that you are sure of what you are looking for.

• Like 1

I think its a good buy, its on a set of wheels and has a Beasmir fence, they are 3 hundred $$ alone, along with the table extention, the wood dust collection box on the side can be replaced with a after market steel one, you can also get a table top extenyion for the left side of the saw table it adds about a 1/2 foot more on that side.

I have the contractors model and the one you show are the kind we use in the carprnter shop, a very reliable saw, It looks to be in very good condition. the motor is not the small energy effecint one, but it is a heavy monster with a big roter and will not let that blade stop very easy. you can get a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood to helocopter if you mess up and let it get away from you.

Good luck on your decision

It is hard for me to make out the badge on the table saw but it looks like the early version of the modern delta 3 triangle badge symbol. This would put the saw's age somewhere in the 1980's to maybe early 90's. So that saw is somewhere between 15 and 30 years old. If you find out the serial number you can pinpoint the date to the month it was made. The saw is missing the motor cover and possibly the lock knob on the blade raising mechanism. The fence looks like it could be in good condition but can't say for sure, and it comes with a mobile base which is 200 or so to buy yourself.

I don't see anything that indicates it is a 220 only saw. The plug is too hard to make out and delta made a variety motors (actually they had third parties make an endless variety), so the saw could be either 110 or 220, and possibly both if rewired properly.

If you are serious about buying this saw then you also need to ask yourself if you are willing to do some work on it. At the saw's age if it still has the original bearings then they need to be replaced. Also there may or may not be rust on the internal blade tilt and raising mechanisms that will have to be dealt with. You should give the saw a very thorough look over before purchasing. get that motor cover off and peek your head inside the cabinet (literally and with a flash light), look for rust and also look closely at the trunnions and make sure there are no cracks in the casting. Plug the saw in and listen to the motor closely, listen for any irregular non-constant sounds. Tilt and raise the blade, make sure there are no problems there. Get the seller to push some hardwood through the saw. Make sure it can do the job. If everything checks out then ok, if not then walk away if your not willing to spend the money/time to fix the saw.

As for whether you should buy it at that price? Well I just bought a 1950 unisaw. I paid 350 dollars for the saw which included the original 1hp motor 110volt motor. I deliberately bought the oldest saw I could find because quite frankly I like old tools. In the past 8 months that I have been looking for a unisaw I have passed up newer saws in great condition selling in the 500 to 600 dollar range on multiple occasions. When I look at the saw you have below I note that the seller has jacked up the price with "jigs" which ends up being mostly useless stuff. I see some saw blades, some of which are rusted and not one of which I would trust, an old dado set that probably came with the saw and may or may not be duller then a crayon at chucky cheese after 6 year old's birthday party, some table inserts for the dado, some orange push blocks that go with a grizzly jointer (used to own ones just like it, they suck), the original jet lock fence (which also sucks), a miter gauge, some shop made push-sticks, and amusingly enough the owner's manual to not only this saw but a delta contractor's saw.

None of those things are really worth all that much. The only accessories on this saw worth anything are the bessie fence (if in good shape) and the mobile stand. If for whatever reason you don't have space for the 50 fence then you don't even have those advantages.

In short regardless of a space issue or not I would let this saw pass unless the seller wants to let the saw go for 600 and it is either in good shape or you are willing to put the work into it to get it there.

Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. Some of it unfortunately was a couple days too late. I bought the saw - so far everything looks good. Couple minor cosmetic things to fix up but I'll definitely check out all the stuff Apple Wood suggested.

While I was a bit late I'll say this. Everyone has told me that a unisaw is the last saw you will ever own (or at least ever need to own). These old models are built extremely well. I like to bottom fish for bargains so while I would be extremely hesitant to pay that much, it doesn't mean it was not a fair price, just not as cheap as they can come. To buy the bessie fence new is by itself around 400 dollars. If you take care of the saw and do a little maintenance now and then (like put a wax on the table top every few months and every 15 to 20 years replace bearings) then the saw will last not only your life time but the life time of the next owner as well.

Good luck and happy sawdust making!