Hardware Shortage?

I got into this project late. Just about finished up milling my boards for the top and ready for glue up. I tried to order my hardware kit from Benchcrafted yesterday but today they sent me an email telling me to "review the order page at the website." OK, I did and it says they are transitioning to a different design. The kit says a 12 week wait, the verbiage of the page says kits will be ready "mid summer."

I hope they are not outsourcing this stuff. This is going to be a major set back. What's the deal?

Woolly

In Benchcrafted's defense, we've known about this for something like nine months. And with all the additional purchases made because of the Guild build, you can't really be surprised they're running behind...they're a small company, after all, that makes boutique, high-quality products...that takes time. It pays to be proactive. :)

In Benchcrafted's defense, we've known about this for something like nine months. And with all the additional purchases made because of the Guild build, you can't really be surprised they're running behind...they're a small company, after all, that makes boutique, high-quality products...that takes time. It pays to be proactive. :)

I suppose I could have been proactive if had I started the project nine months ago. I started my build 2 weeks ago. Could I have forecast Benchcrafted's production shortfalls I would have bought up dozens of the kits and resold them for a premium when they ran out. That proactivity would have surely paid.

But all the "should have, could have, would have", does not help me now. What do I do now? Perhaps Mark will post plans for hardware that is readily available. We will see. But, I had my heart set on this build and that is what I paid for. I hope we get an equitable resolution for those of use who have just begun.

Thanks,

Woolly

This should explain it.

http://benchcrafted....ory-update.html

Maybe someone has bought the Tail vice and hasn't started the build and can sell one to you.

OK, thats neat. How is the new product (St. Peter's Cross) different/better than the current product and why the change? I feel like a kid that just got his lunch money taken away and I'm starving. Staring for some hardware!

I'll see if I can glean some more information from BC's blog. Still no word from them on my "order".

Thanks,

Woolly

This is clearly the down side to connecting a build to a particular brand/company. We just have no control over what Benchcrafted does with their product like. I only hope that they will continue to off the hardware in a similar format to the current so that the videos remain relevant. And while the criss-cross mechanism is neat, I don't feel any real driving need to change from what I have now.

As for alternative hardware, my mind is definitely on it. Just trying to figure out a way this can be shown as an alternative without creating too much confusion.

I got into this project late. Just about finished up milling my boards for the top and ready for glue up. I tried to order my hardware kit from Benchcrafted yesterday but today they sent me an email telling me to "review the order page at the website." OK, I did and it says they are transitioning to a different design. The kit says a 12 week wait, the verbiage of the page says kits will be ready "mid summer."

I hope they are not outsourcing this stuff. This is going to be a major set back. What's the deal?

Woolly

this has been the case for some weeks - I went ahead and used hardware from Lie-Nielsen and have adapted the plan - it will be a simpe matter to swap out to teh new BC hardware - although by the time they are up with demand I will no doubt be very satisfied with my alternative design.

if you are interested - you can follow my progress at www.sawdustandwoodchips.com .

_________