Table Saw Outfeed Table

MikeMc

My first project was an outfeed table of the type shown in an early video of Marc's.

I needed a piece that would alow me to handle larger pieces of wood. It has worked out extremely well and has become an all purpose table very quickly as the rest of my shop starts to come together.

I changed the assembly up slightly to allow a solid piece of shelving to be placed as the bottom shelf of the table. During the glue up of just the lower support sides I was very careful to clamp the upper support pieces just as if they had been glued to absolutely ensure the table was straight while the bottom supports dried.

I also added side pieces to the top and 1/2 of the bottom of the table to give it a more finished look. A side benefit was that there is alot more *meat* for clamps to be used around the edges of the table rather than me leaving just the 3/4" thick support plywood. The bottom is not finished the same way because I made some mistakes on cutting and ended up with less wood than I anticipated. Also I managed to cut through the birch veneer on one leg while running it along a jointer to get rid of a rough edge. Live and learn.

The entire piece was built from birch veneer plywood because it looked much nicer than regular and was less than $10.00 per sheet more. I used a nice piece of 3/4" MDF as the top.

I have not decided on a finish yet and would welcome any ideas on how to finish the top in addition to doing the sides of the table and the 13 drawer tool cabinet that is currently under construction.

post-1496-099610300 1283725971_thumb.jpg

post-1496-012417700 1283725987_thumb.jpg

post-1496-085647600 1283725997_thumb.jpg

post-1496-061447200 1283726098_thumb.jpg

post-1496-090942600 1283726108_thumb.jpg

post-1496-084511100 1283726121_thumb.jpg

Nice table; you'll get a lot of double use from it as an assembly table and storage area. You already touched on it, but beefy sides were an accident on my assembly table that I now use all the time for clamping so good call on that for you. You could honestly attach 8/4 maple (purpleheart was my preference :)) to the outside edges with some dog holes to really add without breaking the bank or making anything more than a couple bolt holes in the existing table.

For the MDF top, paste wax will keep glues from sticking to it (though your assembly will skate around more) but mostly paste wax on the outfeed side of the table nearest the saw will help stock glide.

You'll definitely use this first project! Nice job!

Great work on the table! I see you have a Ryobi table saw. You may or may not know about this website: www.bt3central.com. It's about the larger Ryobi saw (no longer in production). But it also focuses on outfeed, longer rails, etc. for all the saws. Some great upgrades to be considered. Enjoy!

Jack

• 5 months later...

I have not decided on a finish yet and would welcome any ideas on how to finish the top in addition to doing the sides of the table and the 13 drawer tool cabinet that is currently under construction.

I would highly recommend several (2 minimum, but 3 is good) of polymerized tung oil. Make sure to do this on both sides to help stabilize the moisture movement of the top even though it is MDF. Then you can do the wax mentioned below or just keep up with the tung oil.