Fun Little Stepping Stool

A fun afternoon project I did for my Daughter to help with "potty time". As entertaining as it is to watch her claw her way up onto the commode, I think this is going to be a much better way to "go" :P The sides are 5/8" solid birch and the steps are 3/4" sapele. The stool is finished in bees wax and oil.

First step is at 6" and overall height is 12"

It holds my weight on the top step without any problems (#170) and is designed so the highest step is set back from the footprint of the base to keep it from tipping over. Let me know what you think! This is one of the ideas I am kicking around to try and sell for Christmas this year.

Thank you!

~Andy

post-6031-0-59119000-1340648338_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-25136900-1340648372_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-22876600-1340648408_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-57670100-1340648433_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-52271100-1340648463_thumb.jp

• Like 1

nice look can i make a sugestion add some walnut shell dust to a finish and spray the top next time that way you have a grit that your feet can hold on to. that way if someone is using it in the kitchen or kid is using it if it gets wet the person wont slip. wallnut dust is a old mariner trick, old sailors would use it to get better traction on the decks.

as for training i say let the kids go free range in the back yard.

I think the first thing I'm going to do is add some little grippy feet / pads on the bottom of the legs.. It's solid as can be on carpet but a little slick on hard tile :-O She was playing around in the bathroom sink and it slid out a bit.. Her words, "Whoa, that was close..."

Maybe a couple small suction cups for feet? I want to to look nice and not too much of an afterthought... Cork maybe? Any other suggestions?