Top This!

MikeMc

Hi all,

I am currently building a 13 drawer cabinet modeled after an article in the October 2002 edition of American woodworker. The plans were for a single drawer cabinet with a shelf above. I did not need the shelf. After alot of agonizing about how to attatch the 2 pieces together I realized that they would be much more functional if left separate.

I can have them a minimum of 6' apart without a space or any distance in between with the span properly supported. I have at least 6" from the tops of the cabinets to the bottoms of the outlets. The cabinet drawer faces will be maple and/or birch.

I have built an outfeed table, am planning on building a torsion box assembly table and another long goods table for my planer, router, miter saw, etc.

I am not sure what type of top to put on this table yet. I think something with bench dog holes might be helpful. Any good ideas?

Also, I havent decided on handles or what type of cabinet door to attach yet.

post-1496-018559300 1283733111_thumb.jpg

post-1496-055794900 1283733115_thumb.jpg

Well, you can never have too much bench space, so another bench would be good, but if you put bench dog holes in it, you might have problems if the holes don't go all the way through and there is some space underneath it, so the height of the cabinets may be a problem. You've got the right idea though, so you may want to give more thought into how you could make it a multi-use space or examine your setup and see if there isn't an area of working that you haven't really set up well yet. Do you have any other bench-top tools/machines that could maybe use the space?

Well, you can never have too much bench space, so another bench would be good, but if you put bench dog holes in it, you might have problems if the holes don't go all the way through and there is some space underneath it, so the height of the cabinets may be a problem. You've got the right idea though, so you may want to give more thought into how you could make it a multi-use space or examine your setup and see if there isn't an area of working that you haven't really set up well yet. Do you have any other bench-top tools/machines that could maybe use the space?

Space is not my problem right this minute. I built the cabinets for the drawers underneath. I will be building a torsion box table and another long goods table. I am just wondering what exactly to do with this one. I could (Laminate?) a bunch of 2x4's together and create a butcher block table which I could drill bench dog holes straight through I guess. The bench could hover above the cabinets as they are completely sealed along the tops. That would solve any problems with clogged holes.

Mostly I am looking for good top ideas for a bench that is 25" wide and about 10' long and what works for other people before I take the plunge ;]

It's tough to advise without a bit more information. But I'd echo the previous poster in giving this over to some other benchtop tool: a miter saw, a grinder, a radial arm, a drill press, whatnot.

Is this the table's final resting place? (i.e. against a wall) If so, all the more reason to use it for a chop saw or similar tool. Bench dog holes to my mind seem to imply hand tool work and vastly heavier construction for the base to avoid racking or scooting when planing and sawing.

It's tough to advise without a bit more information. But I'd echo the previous poster in giving this over to some other benchtop tool: a miter saw, a grinder, a radial arm, a drill press, whatnot.

Is this the table's final resting place? (i.e. against a wall) If so, all the more reason to use it for a chop saw or similar tool. Bench dog holes to my mind seem to imply hand tool work and vastly heavier construction for the base to avoid racking or scooting when planing and sawing.

Yes, this is the final resting place. The primary purpose for the piece is drawer storage. I found that 25" Isnt really deep enough for certain tools such as the miter saw, etc. I plan on building a long goods table at least 30" wide and probably in the middle of the garage to allow me plenty of space to work. I will have storage underneath for the tools and such.

I am so new at this that I dont know what I will really end up needing in shop furniture.

I ran across a plan for a workbench using laminated plywood to make up the top. It was cut with a miter saw and circular saw (and straight edge), allowing for square dog holes. (The plywood was cut into 3 inch wide strips, and glued up into a block that was designed to be set on the cut edge.)

I liked the idea because it uses a 12 inch wooden handscrew clamp as the end vise, and I can get a cheapo one for under 5 bucks that I won't mind losing or destroying.

If you want to do dog holes, I'd recommend a shallow top drawer that you could have a couple dogs poke into. Or, set up a small "cubby" for the dog holes that sets on top of the base...

I envy you your new storage... Just don't do what I did and buy stuff to fill it without storing the old stuff I already had.