hard wood sanding tricks?

duckkisser

hey been trying to sand on my lathe and lately i have had all kinds of troubles sanding and not having any scratches. right now im working with some teak bowls that i bought at a garage sale and have been refinishing them nd placing metal and stone inlays into the rims. problem is im ok with the outside of the bowl i can get the scratches to a miniamal but the inside fo the bowls i have lots of scratched circles in the inside. does anyone have any tips on how i can get rid of scratches on the bottom of my bowls? i have been using bees wax and miniral oil as a sanding medium on my turnings i load up some 60 grit sandpaper and then go through the sand paper grits 60,80,100,120,150,220,320,400,600. no matter how often i go back through the grits i cant seem to remove. should i add wax for each sand paper grit or should i just put it on at the 60 grit and then go throught the steps.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/SP2KIT.html would something like this be a great way to eliminate scratches?

should i take the sand paper and stop the lathe and go across the grain before i go ontot he next grit?

take an old white tube sock that is clean and run it up and down the piece while turning with moderate pressure to kind of burnish the piece (thought this was inturesting)

heard about steel wool but some turners say dont trust it on the spining lathe. but for the inside of the bowl is it something that i want o use?

Sand with every grit and do not skip one! Keep the paper moving constantly, sideways , or even a twisting motion. I follow up with plastic abrasive pads ,red gray then white. It takes patience and constant motion, when the grains of the abrasive stay in one spot they dig a groove!

i just made a few sanding pads like the ones in the photo just some wood with some carpet padding a nut on it with a bolt with the head cut off to go into my decorating tool . going to try in the morning and see how well that will work. before i spend real money and invested in special sand paper pads ill try my jurry riged sander. and glue some sand paper onto the pad where do you get you plastic abrasive pads? do you pick them up at just a regular box store? or order them from a company?

Cabinet supply houses sell them , I have also gotten them at paint stores. Maybe 5 inch by 8 inch pads and cheaper by the full box. Scotch brand are a bit thicker but some of the other brands work well and are a bit thinner and more flexible which helps on curved work and turnings .

I've used the micro mesh pads (small ones) on a few projects. Works better on acrylic and finish than on wood, but it's also a much higher grit. had a scratch once with them, would drop down to smaller grits to get it out and end up putting it back in with a particular grit. ended up changing the pad (1200 grit) and sanding past. takes a little extra time and work with the higher pads to remove it, and it didn't get all of it, but I was able to hide it with an additional feature.

i have heard it you sand like 400-600 with boiled linseed oil on the wood its like sanding at high grits i have been doing that becouse 1 dont see how it can hurt, 2 helps bring out the colors of the wood, 3 lets me see scratches before i put a finish on it.

Have you tried cross sanding? So, lets say you are sanding while the lathe is spinning. That will get you circles of scratches. I sometimes find that I need to stop the lathe and sand perpendicular to the circles....so, say, from the bottom of the bowl to the rim.

I usually do this a part of my finishing process on pens and bottle stoppers. I notice if I don't, I never really get the first grit's scratches out.

It doesn't take much, just some simple hand sanding.

ok a update- i sanded a bowl using my jim riged self powered sander and it is like using a random orbital sander. no more scratches and i did a post in the past about geting velcro sanding pads and come up witha couple sites but didnt realy like to order from them. im now thinking of geting rolls of sand paper so that i can just cut and attach to my sander. or use by hand. anyone got a company that they pefer to order from? im looking for a decent price probably bulk prices since my lathe is used by the kids in the classroom and i dont want to use up all my quality sandpaper making quick 1 day projects to show how the lathe works. also anyone know of any tricks to perlong the paper and keep it from wearing out so fast since it gets loaded up with wax.