Walnut table top

ronnie

I wanted to make a small table like a hall table or a tv stand of some kind out of this walnut board that I planed, sanded and clear coated. I wanted to leave its original shape to give it that authintic look. But heres where I need help, I am not sure how I am going to build the legs or the bottom frame portion. could yall give me some ideas, it would be very helpfull. The other thing is that the remaining walnut that I have, it all has been cut to 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 thick just and est. But any way the board that you see here is about 4 ft and about 9 3/4 wide. Thanks again..

post-154-004583200 1283790390_thumb.jpg

Ronnie, it sounds like your planning on using the board for a top at it’s current dimensions. Have you thought about a shorter but wider top?

As far as support for the top, here’s a number of pictures to look at. Just keep scrolling down even when it looks like they are no longer showing table tops. It’s kind of a mix, but you’ll see table tops here and there all the way to the bottom of the page.

After looking at the designs from the web page Vic supplied, and the one I sent (and others who may post a comment here), if you see something you like, but want some help on how to construct it, then just post a picture of what it is you would like to make. I'm pretty sure there will be those in the community that can tell you how to go about constructing it.

Thanks for the advice. That is some really nice furniture. Man them peaple have some major talent.

I think that I now have some what of an idea of what im am going to do.....

thanx that was real helpfull.... :D:D I wish I could show you the one that I picked out of all the pics.But im not sure how to do it. but thanx any way................

Ronnie, Here's how to post a picture of the table top support you found on the web.

I use a PC so it will be a little different if you own a Mac (Apple) computer.

For a PC, let’s say you like the first picture on the site that I sent. Just right click on the picture and select “Save Picture As…”. At that time you can change the file name to something more meaningful. Then select a folder to save it to. You can pick your Desktop if you want.

After you’ve done that, then go to the this link and follow the instructions there. You can post multiple pictures if you like.

Here are the results of doing this for the first picture I mentioned above. Just click on the thumb nail to see the larger picture. We would be very interested to see a picture of the design you have chosen and your final build. You can return here and post your picture or start a new post. Thanks.

post-302-015187200 1283818272_thumb.jpg

Wow to all the pictures. You have a nice board, Ronnie. Love the pic that Onboard posted although for your board, I don't think it would work as well (too narrow).

The pic you posted is nice. I think it, too, would do better with a wider board since the apron frame is under the board.

If you wanna be a little adventurous and make something modern, make 2 bent lamination legs. Without trying to draw it, I'm thinking of two parenthesis back to back: )( table top on top. Legs are bent laminations of 1/8" bender ply cut 8" wide; laminate maybe 4 together on a form. Same form for both sides. A little spring-back will just raise the anticipated table height. Make the legs pitch black. It's kind of a bent lamination adaptation of the pic Onboard posted (black legs) but made to fit a more narrow table.

Post pictures as you go along; work-in-progress threads are always a lot of fun (none here I've seen, but elsewhere they are more fun than a Piñata of green M&Ms).

Paul, just a quick FYI. The picture I posted was to show Ronnie an example of posting pictures since he did not know how at the time. I just grabbed the first picture from the web page I included in my first post to show him some examples he could look at for his board. Thanks for the design ideas.

Paul, just a quick FYI. The picture I posted was to show Ronnie an example of posting pictures since he did not know how at the time. I just grabbed the first picture from the web page I included in my first post to show him some examples he could look at for his board. Thanks for the design ideas.

Oh, I know, but I happened to really like your random choice :) It also kinda cemented the idea that the board was too narrow for traditional legs to me. Dunno might be me. I know Bud has done bent laminations lately; he'd be a good one to ping.

Paul thanks for the input. It is encouraging to see some of yall comments, they are very helpfull.

If I was to go your rout I dont know if it would be sturdy enough to set a 42" flat screen on it..

I wanted the rustic for the table top. The board is about 1 1/2 in. thick and about 9 3/4 wide and about 4 ft long...

It still sounds a little to narrow huh.......

I seen a photo of a hall table in this month's adition of WOOD MAGAZINE. I am going to see if I can pull it up some how or another

and let yall see it....

The top to the hall table is totaly square but I think, that it might work with this board... If not I guess I dont mind squaring it up.....

Well let me see if I can pull it up and copy it...

Be back soon....Thanks again every one.... :D

Well I found it and guess what? It wasnt what I thought it would be.

I guess I didnt look at it close enough or didnt like what I saw after I found it on wood.....

Nothing bad on there behalf, It just wasn't what I thought...

Maybe I can I can scan through the scetch up room and see what I come up with.....

Man I was realy sure I seen what I wanted..... man :mellow::huh: (Ill be bock)