Another Roubo Finished

bubba1

I've finished the basic bench, still need to make the deadman and flatten the top but it is a workable bench. Bought the SYP last March in Austin, TX, waited as long as I could stand for it to dry then life happened. I haven't a clue how many hours were spent but there were a few. Final size, 24 1/2" X 90 3/4" X 4 1/4" and it stands 35" high. My guess is it's close to 400 lbs. I figure a gal of BLO is next, still haven't decided on removing the pencil marks :-).

Slabs and base of are of glued up construction grade SYP, If I remember correctly $0.49 USD per board foot. I used about 300 board feet of the 500 board feet I bought. Add $90 USD for the soft maple and ash I picked up for the gap stop and deadman plus $50 USD for the red oak chop. All total I have about $300 USD in materials and another $800 USD in hardware. A Roubo for under $1100 USD, not too bad.

benchC20120710.jpg

Thanks Vic,

It should last until they plant me, the last one I built out of SYP is still functioning and it was built over 30 years ago. The leg vise is a keeper, the jury is still out on the wagon vise. I seldom used the end vise on my other bench, I hope the wagon is more useable but we'll see.

ken