Contract and Payment

Bud

I'm still not looking to go full time but I'm considering a few commissions coming from people I don't know at all. I've never felt the need to write up a contract or ask for a percentage of payment up-front as I've worked almost exclusively for friends and family to this point. I wouldn't consider this a move to "professional" but that is an eventual goal and I take commissions very seriously; I want to work with people in a professional manner whether I support myself financially with the work or not.

What is included in a contract and what is a good layout? What percentage do you ask for up-front? How do you go about billing once the work is completed?

To be fair to you and your clients a good approach is to get a 50% down and progress payments along the way. Leave 10% at the end for final installation or delivery if it is a piece of furniture.

I'm still not looking to go full time but I'm considering a few commissions coming from people I don't know at all. I've never felt the need to write up a contract or ask for a percentage of payment up-front as I've worked almost exclusively for friends and family to this point. I wouldn't consider this a move to "professional" but that is an eventual goal and I take commissions very seriously; I want to work with people in a professional manner whether I support myself financially with the work or not.

What is included in a contract and what is a good layout? What percentage do you ask for up-front? How do you go about billing once the work is completed?

Here in France it's law that you supply a quote termed a devis, this must be in duplicate. The client agrees to the contract, which is legally binding, by signing one copy and returning it to you. Almost always with an agreed deposit. I've always found that by including as much detail as possible within this quote both you and the client know exactly what they are going to receive in return for their money. It is not uncommon for a client to state firmly that they expected such and such more or that there were other things discussed and 'added' after, that they have not received. However if there is a detailed specification with the quote and any 'extras' are then agreed, and signed for, there is little chance of a dispute. I know sometimes I've given a detailed spec etc. and been undercut by someone who has not included for all manner of things in order to reduce the price, this has almost always resulted in the client being unhappy after the event. It's easy for me to speak I guess and believe me I do know the problems, particularly when dealing with friends of friends to simply have even as little as a verbal agreement. But, this is fraught with danger for both parties. I've always done my utmost to avoid these situations. It is much better to make friends of clients than it is to make clients of friends. I've yet to meet anyone who decries you for being 'Professional' after all if someone is paying you for your services, no matter how trivial, it is a professional transaction. Incidentally here in France no matter how trivial, you are, in theory at least, required to declare all moneys earned to the Tax authorities.