Rockers!

jHop

I stumbled across this photo, which led to a website, on a rocking chair I haven't seen before.

http://www.thosmoser.com/product.detail.php?category_id=&family_id=27&product_id=1380&gclid=CIXx7Y7X9aMCFVVx5QoddzXA4w#/tab_product_images=0/

Has anybody tried any of these? Where would you start in trying to copy this idea? (I'm not a big fan of purchasing a wooden item over the internet, when I can butcher, er... attempt, one on my own.)

I relly like that design!

If I were to try to copy or build a simular one, I would start by drawing a set of plans. then I would try to make full size patterns of cardbord or hardboard getting the porportions to suit me. (measure other smaller rocking chairs) Then I would go to the borg and buy some 2x8s or 10s of construction pine (white wood or cedar)and plywood and build one!

Sit in it, deside what I liked or didn't like, change it or even re-build it until I was happy or at least know what needed changing and then go buy the approaite BF of cherry, walnut, maple or what ever wood you might want to use.

Yes, it will take time and SOME money but, all the nessary jigs and procedures will be in hand for the end product and you can the build two or more of them at will.

I built a rocking chair from full scale plans by Del Cover from American Furniture

Design Co.(they were $20.00) and I used hard maple. It took me almost a year and I got so fustrated that I "parked" the project for three months. It is done now and in the livingroom but, I'm not happy with it. I want to do it again and do it the way I want to do it!! I should have built a mock-up out of cheaper wood first and then if I made a mistake, I would know about it BEFORE I spent the time and money on hard wood and I think would be more proud of the end result.

Rog

• 2 months later...

I'm imagining the form of this chair in brushed aluminum, patinated with dried Targ blood and placed on the bridge of a Klingon battlecruiser.

BUT...if one were still of a mind to copy this chair and admitting that it does have several woodworking challenges that would be worth study as an exercise. Start by asking Mr. Moser. He may well be willing to sell you plans, or at the least offer some guidance in your quest. Worst he can say is go piss off.

Failing that, try to visit the piece in person and take lots of close up pictures, perhaps even measurements or a paper rubbing or two. The joinery is fussy but not overly complicated. The biggest challenge I see are the sculpted vertical members. If Mr. Moser has ramped up to produce these commercially, he may well have created an elaborate router jig that cradles a blank and does the curves for you. If I were making a single copy for my own use, this would be a task for a drawknife and hand tools.

Certainly agreed that a prototype in pallet lumber is in order for anything of this nature.