Why not sapwood?

jimabbruzzese

Is there a technical reason why people avoid sapwood? Is it oily, moist, or otherwise difficult to cut or finish? Or is it just about aesthetics? I think the opposing colors could work well, especially in a darker wood like walnut, and discarding the sapwood for aesthetics alone seems like such a waste.

Gibson Guitar is promoting the virtues of ebony sapwood as a means of sustainable harvesting and use of this diminishing resource. We are looking at a tipping point in availability of some of the more exotic hardwoods. This may bring on an evolution of wood aesthetics.

I agree that there are instances where blending/use of sapwood should be considered for both aesthetic and practical reasons.

the sap wood can be a little softer then the heartwood but not enough to really make a difference. people just tend to like making stuff or buying stuff that is solid color. i have some cherry desk sets that i let the sapwood streak across the heartwood at and angle towards the pen and paper clip holders. that way your eye is drawn from one side to the other where the pen set is held. i like using heart and sap in my projects it gives the wood a difference in looks and breaks up the grain pattern.

Years ago it was explained to me that the colors that are so desirable in Brazilian Rosewood comes only from around the rotted heart of a tree. That normally calls for a tree that is at least 200 years old. It was also explained that the heart of the persimmon tree undergoes a chemical change that is similar to ebony and it is this process that makes it so rock hard and desirable in the past for golf clubs.

Sapwood is the living part of the tree, therefore it still contains alot of food stores which the tree was intending to use before it was cut down. This means it is very prone to insect attack as this is where they will find their food.

When Sapwood is converted into Heartwood the cell walls that used to be full of food and moisture are now partially replaced by extractives. Extractives are just chemical compounds which the trees produce such as oils, acids and tannins. These are what gives the tree resistance to rot, insect attack and decay. They are also major contributors to a trees colour and smell.

So in short... Sapwood is far more likely to rot or suffer from insect attack than heartwood. It is also usually more bland in colour.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1