Walnut writing/laptop desk

timmahoney34

I designed this desk while making one of my Maloof style rocking chairs. The inspiration came from the rear leg cut offs. I hate to throw out material and had the pieces in my hand and saw the design for the desk I had been wanting to build for writing and my laptop. I wanted a desk that would somewhat hide the laptop when not in use. It won awards in the 2010 Design in Wood competition in San Diego and also the Orange Co Fair woodworking comp. The best part was learning that the judges were the 3 guys that have worked with Sam Maloof for over 30 years.

post-243-096483200 1284002242_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is nice. Only thing if it was for a desk for ME I would want to see different is the front of the desk being deeper. Everyone has a different style of how they use the laptop though and if that is the way you like it then you should be proud of it, which I'm sure you are.

I guess I should edit in is that may be the Maloof style, which I am not familiar with and this was by no means a critique of your work. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Susieq,

I haven't been able to post some of my pics. Not sure why. I have some really nice photos on my website,

mahoneywoodworks.com. I had a professional photographer take them to get some close ups. You will see the desk with and without the laptop. I'm about 2 weeks from finishing the matching office chair.

Tim Mahoney,

Thanks for sharing your website! The pictures (of the writing desk and other items) are amazing. The writing desk looks fantastic opened or closed. Looking forward to seeing the matching office chair. Your passion for woodworking is apparent in all your pieces. :)

SQ

• 3 weeks later...

There are just a few things I'll comment on.

First, Great job! The desk certainly has eye appeal.

Some helpful suggestions. First, the legs. While interesting, they conjure images of the old timey cross cut (bow?) saws. Don't know if that's good or bad, just my weird eye.

Second, the inside vertical support for the drawers is treated just like the legs only the legs are missing. Its a little awkward and looks like the legs were cut off. Perhaps extending the horizontal line under the drawer continuously under those drawer sides would help.

Third, Krenov would be proud as I see more of him that Maloof in this piece. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Isawitfirst, I'm not a fan of Krenov's work. He was one of the best just not my style. If you look at one of my rocking chairs and the rear leg profile from the seat up you will see the leg profile of my desk only upside down. This is where I got the inspiration and idea for my desk. I am a huge Sam Maloof fan so the desk is another extension of my learning from him. It has won awards in shows that Sam's 3 assistants, now owners were the judges so I'm very pleased with the results. But hey, this is the critique room.