Home made thin rip jig

joelav

I needed one of the thin rip jigs rockler sells. I hear they work pretty well. Instead of buying one, I made my own. Not because I am cheap, the rockler one is under 20$ I think and it gets awesome reviews, I just really enjoy making things. If you want to make one of these here are a few good tips:

1 - 45 degree cuts coming to a point at the tip do not work. It's very easy to nock the jig loose

2 - A flat spot at the end of the angled cuts at the tip works better... BUT it makes 90 degree alignment absolutely critical. The last thing I want to do is spend more time microadjusting something so....

3 - A flat spot at the end with a bearing in it works awesome. I used an old router bit bearing. A #10 (I think, bigger than an 8 but don't have the package) wood screw matches the inside diamater of the bearing. The screw I used had no threads toward the head, so it was perfect. I hacked the excess screw off and filed/sanded it flush so it won't scratch my cast iron

4 - You need 2 slots. This rides in an old miter chanel attachement for a featherboard I lost and replaced. I tried just cutting one slot, but I could get it to move around if I want it to.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment:

sdf.jpg

DSCN7466.jpg

xcvsdf.jpg