Custom Cigar humidor cabinet

Kuhn315

Hey, I have a question about the type of joinery I should use for a cabinet that would be 24" wide 48" high and 18" deep. I am using 100% solid spanish cedar for the build. If you're not familiar with a cigar humidor, it has to be sealed very well to keep the humidity in. I am confused as to what type of joinery I should use for such a big piece. I feel like just regular screws and glue may not be the best. Anyone have suggestions as to what type of joinery has a good seal?

Most humidor's are lined with Spanish Cedar but box itself is typically made from other species. I say typically as I have seen humidor's made purely from Spanish Cedar but I'm not sure about finishing the piece as the SC should be left unfinished - at least on the inside. Of course, humidor's I've made and most I've seen have been desktop boxes not large cabinets. Joinery could be about anything. I don't recall seeing joints measured for how well they seal. Seems to me if you want to have it sealed, apply a film finish on the outside. If you use screws, I would use stainless steel as the humidor is to have about 65% humidity at 65 degrees which I figure would rust a standard screw. Sounds like you are using a butt joint based on your description.

BTW, with that size, that is a LOT of cigars. If this thing has a number of drawers, I would worry about a good seal on each drawer rather than the entire cabinet. Also, I don't think the seal has to be airtight. You just want to make sure the cigar container is well enclosed without air circulation in and out through obvious cracks. Once you season the cedar with a moist sponge, you will keep the humidity up with an internal humidifier or gel packs.

Jerry

Builder of a couple humidors and cigar smoker :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, and yes I will be using a butt joint, might just go with the screw seal, this cabinet is going to have a door on the front along with a top that opens up, shelves are going to be slotted inside, so I just have to have a tight fit with the top opening and the door opening. This guy is a huge cigar enthusiast, he want it that big and want it to be made up of just spanish cedar, I'll just be extra careful about the seals on the joints as well as the doors.

With a bigger humidor, you'll want to make sure you use joinery that will handle any expansion and contraction well. With 70% humidity inside the box, and potentially much less outside, you will want to make sure everything will stay snug and expand/contract without binding or breaking. With smaller boxes, typically all the grain goes in the same direction, and the parts aren't large enough to cause major issues but a bigger box, your tolerances need to be greater. I'd also suggest using a type II or even type III glue (waterproof) for the joinery to ensure the humidity doesn't cause problems over time.