Health Insurance

baok

I have health insurance through my wife. You also have to have some sort of workman's comp insurance. If you get hurt working in the shop and the insurance company finds out that you were injured as a result of your occupation they are not going to want to pay. That's where the comp comes in. With that being said most people don't do it that way, they just don't say they were injured at work. They just say they were hurt doing work around the house for example. Hopefully that helps...

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Ohio we have COSE to help with insurance. That stands for Council of Smaller Enterprises. Basically, it's a loose affiliation that leverages a large group of small businesses to negotiate favorable rates with various insurance providers. I don't know if COSE is available outside of Ohio, but if it is, I'd suggest taking a look at what it can offer. From what I understand (I don't use them), they can handle shops from 1 person up to 50.

• 5 weeks later...

It's actually fairly difficult to insure health insurance at the small businesses and individual levels. The good news is that this been solved, but the process of rolling out the necessary technical changes takes time. I believe the earliest state to do this is Utah, but other states should be following suit soon. In a year or two, small business coverage should be much more accessible than it is now.