Ends of the slabs

skiback46

I have the bench all put together now, and as I was chamfering the ends of the slabs I realized my block plane was hitting the other slab. So I got out my straight edge and checked. I must have bumped one of the slabs a little less than and 1/8" when i was marking for the mortises. the front slab is shifted a little to the right, or the back slab a little to the left. So that means the tail vise sticks out farther than the backslab. I forgot to take a picture last night.

So I see a few options.

1) Leave it

2) True up the left end (no tail vise), and leave the tail vise side the way it is.

3) Recut the mortises in the back slab and shim the big side to bring all the ends in line

How big of a deal is it if the slab ends line up perfectly?

IMO it makes no difference whatsoever as long as the slabs are flat and coplaner. But it would drive me absolutely nuts and I'd have to go back and fix it, probably by taking a little more material out of the rear slab's mortises and shifting it over. It doesn't matter if the mortises are slightly oversized...the Spax screws hold the slabs down securely.

Just leave it that way mine is the only perfect one out there !! :) I'm joking, I'm sure everyone has a flaw or two in their bench, it's just up to you if it really bothers you that much. If it were mine I would widen the mortises so it can be shifted into place which means you will need to redrill the holes for the spax screws as the old holes will just drag it back where it was.

I can't imagine why it would matter either, I guess I just wanted affirmation that it was worth fixing. Its a quick fix, that no one will see. Thanks.

Steve, I was long ago eliminated from the running for the perfect bench, and luckily I haven't drilled for the screws yet.