"Burning" finish

sbarton22

I've seen several projects where the artisan uses fire to embellish the surface. I'd like to learn a little more how to do that, but I don't know the right terminology. Pyrography only comes up with burned "sketches" of things. Burning doesn't yield much better results.

If you have a better term or favorite video or something that I can chase, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I don't know about oaks and such, but softwoods are good candidates for Japanese sugi technique. Lightly char the surface with a torch and then burnish with a steel brush. The softer early wood incinerated with the slightest application of flame and, therefore, scrubs away to reveal fresh, light-colored softwood. The denser late wood has deepens to a rich, brown color.

At least, that's the theory. I've never tried it, myself.

I have never tried this technique, and only just heard about it, but I would imagine a heat gun or a micro propane or butane torch would work best.

There are those woodburning tool kits that come with a "shading spoon," so I'd imagine that the technique can be incorporated into this tool as well. And, thanks to a recent Mighty Car Mods video, I'd recommend the heat gun over using a hair dryer: the heat gun will be 10 degrees Celcius warmer than the hair dryer. (My mind is too tired to do the conversion to Farenheit, but I know it's more than 10 degrees.)