What a difference it makes to have sharp planes.

Bobby Slack

I sharpened all my planes using my Shapton stones and the article on Fine Woodworking by Daneb Puchlaski from Lie Nielsen.

Oh boy what a difference, everything cut soft, and I had full control.

My only drawback is that I don't have a traditional bench and the Festool tables rack quite a bit. That is another issue. I will build my Roubo in time.

It's like trying to drive a new car without spin balancing the tires. no mater how nice a plane is, you won't know how well it works until it's sharpened and tuned properly. It makes a world of difference, and probably the biggest reason why so many woodworkers have had bad experiences with planes and avoid them all together. Congrats - there's nothing like the first time you get good shavings from your plane. It kind of makes you feel like a real woodworker ;)

The quality of the plane matters as well as I have been known to demonstrate to a few of my friends. All three planes properly sharpened and tuned up which would you like to use?

Stanley Handyman # 5

Stanley Bailey # 5

Stanley Bedrock # 605

All made by the same manufacturer, and all the same type of plane but there is a huge difference in how well they work.

Karl, I have no idea about Stanley planes. I was using my Lie Nielsen Nbr 7, my medium shoulder plane also from Lie Nielsen and my block rabbet plane also from Lie Nielsen and finally my scraper cards also from Lie Nielsen.

I have nothing bad to say about other manufacturers because I never used them. From what I know when you get a Lee Valley/Veritas or a Lie Nielsen plane they are ready right out of the box.

On the post I did not want to put all of this because did not want to sound like I am bragging.

This is a complex I have from my upgringing in a country where it was difficult and cost prohibited to get quality ... anything.

The quality of the plane matters as well as I have been known to demonstrate to a few of my friends. All three planes properly sharpened and tuned up which would you like to use?

Stanley Handyman # 5

Stanley Bailey # 5

Stanley Bedrock # 605

All made by the same manufacturer, and all the same type of plane but there is a huge difference in how well they work.

Yes indeed. I did not want to bother with other planes and spend time tuning them up and wanted to get results right away. This helps for my confidence and I let other people who enjoy fixing up older tools to enjoy that process ... I like to listen to the music of these tools right away.

Well tuned and well sharpened tools are turning me into a hippie woodworker.

It's like trying to drive a new car without spin balancing the tires. no mater how nice a plane is, you won't know how well it works until it's sharpened and tuned properly. It makes a world of difference, and probably the biggest reason why so many woodworkers have had bad experiences with planes and avoid them all together. Congrats - there's nothing like the first time you get good shavings from your plane. It kind of makes you feel like a real woodworker ;)

Karl, I have no idea about Stanley planes. I was using my Lie Nielsen Nbr 7, my medium shoulder plane also from Lie Nielsen and my block rabbet plane also from Lie Nielsen and finally my scraper cards also from Lie Nielsen.

I have nothing bad to say about other manufacturers because I never used them. From what I know when you get a Lee Valley/Veritas or a Lie Nielsen plane they are ready right out of the box.

On the post I did not want to put all of this because did not want to sound like I am bragging.

This is a complex I have from my upgringing in a country where it was difficult and cost prohibited to get quality ... anything.

No problem with me Bobby

All my hand planes are antiques mostly bought at auctions for not much money, I tend to rehab them to usable status instead of trying to restore them to pristine condition. The thing with the 3 planes I listed are the quality of the manufacturing that went into them.

The Handyman = homeowner or basic plane

The Bailey = your standard quality woodworkers tool

The Bedrock = Rolls Royce quality

All 3 made by Stanley but guess which one I use most.

OK now that you told me ... the obvious answer would be the bedrock but since you ask me ... hmmm has to be the Bailey.

That is my guess, The Bailey.

No problem with me Bobby

All my hand planes are antiques mostly bought at auctions for not much money, I tend to rehab them to usable status instead of trying to restore them to pristine condition. The thing with the 3 planes I listed are the quality of the manufacturing that went into them.

No problem with me Bobby

I also am surrounded by old Stanley's, have been handed down my wifes grandfathers old #4,#5,#6, and #60 1/2 and have bought a few more through the years- waiting for my 1901 my router plane to arrive as we speak. The thing I love about them is not only the history they have already but the history we create restoring them with my kids and teaching them to use them. The router plane that is coming I bought mainly because the patent date is the same as my sons birthday! I look at my planes and see the memories. As to your question I would use the Bedrock, mainly because I have never used one! It is a great feeling having perfect shavings isn't it!

Nate

I got some hand down oooooold Stanley planes from my father in law but they are in my colorado mountain cabin. How do I know about the vintage and model?

That's an easy one to answer, there are a bunch of hand tool links in the sticky at the top of this category but the one you need is this one:

http://www.hyperkitt...h_plane/dating/

Sweet deal on the #605C, Karl! I bet you savor that memory every time you see it :) I passed on a #606 for $40 once at an antique show because the lever cap was cracked.... and yes, I didn't know anything about planes back then. It still makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

This is splitting hairs, but it would also depend on the type of bailey. the quality of the earlier baileys and bedrocks were comparable - the bedrocks were just a little easier to adjust and fine tune. Once WW2 came around, they stopped making the bedrocks and the baileys quality and design suffered quite a bit. Once a Bailey gets set up, it should perform just as well as a bedrock. As for the Handyman, it would make a good door stop, anyway...

Frankly, I'd love to see a good plane manufacturer like Veritas refine the Shaw's Patent frog design. They use Shaw's lateral adjustment lever design from the #514 in their bevel up planes with great success.

Sweet deal on the #605C, Karl! I bet you savor that memory every time you see it :) I passed on a #606 for $40 once at an antique show because the lever cap was cracked.... and yes, I didn't know anything about planes back then. It still makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

This is splitting hairs, but it would also depend on the type of bailey. the quality of the earlier baileys and bedrocks were comparable - the bedrocks were just a little easier to adjust and fine tune. Once WW2 came around, they stopped making the bedrocks and the baileys quality and design suffered quite a bit. Once a Bailey gets set up, it should perform just as well as a bedrock. As for the Handyman, it would make a good door stop, anyway...

Frankly, I'd love to see a good plane manufacturer like Veritas refine the Shaw's Patent frog design. They use Shaw's lateral adjustment lever design from the #514 in their bevel up planes with great success.

Oh don't get me wrong Mike the Bailey does a fine job but, the extra weight of the Bedrock means it gets more use especially for rough work.