Corded VSR Drill Recommendations

protectedvoid

So, I've been very happy using Cordless drills for most of my applications that require portability, and I've used my 10" drill press for just about everything else. Recently, however, I've run into a situation where I didn't have enough power in my 18v cordless, and it wasn't an application that I could do in my drill press. So, I figured it was probably time to look at a corded drill.

I know (roughly) what I want in the drill: 1/2" chuck, keyed, Variable Speed and at least a 7amp model. I also am looking to keep the price tag as low as possible, since it won't be one of those "everyday - every application" type tools. I'm fairly brand conscious, so I've been looking at something from Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Porter Cable. I saw this offering from Porter-Cable recently, and it seems comparable to this offering from DeWalt, but at a lower price point.

So, I'm wondering:

All you guys out there, what corded drills do you use / have experience with in the woodshop that you'd recommend?

alot of you might think i am missing the point when u read the rest of this but hear me out :) i was in the same situation a few years ago (kind of). i was fed up with my drill battery going as flat as a fart when ever i was away from the shop, everytime i ask something demanding of it. granted it was by ne mean a top end drill but it did everything i asked of in in the shop, (small jobs)

one day i decided 2 get a plug in drill :D . i also knew its usage would be minimal. i looked at ones like the porter-cable above and i remember thinking they where a bit of a waste of time :o instead i when for a VERY powerful bosch pro SDS hammer drill, for 2 very good reason 1. huge amount of power for those demanding jobs in the shop. 2. it also has the ability to drill throught a foot of concrete, which might not be directly related to woodworking but, i am asked to fixing things around the house etc where that comes in handy e.g. wall plug etc.

so whilst this might not be what u had in mind, it is best to try and kill to birds with one stone when buying a tool which u know you might not use much ;)

"would rather have one and not need one, than need one and not have one" B)

alot of you might think i am missing the point when u read the rest of this but hear me out :) i was in the same situation a few years ago (kind of). i was fed up with my drill battery going as flat as a fart when ever i was away from the shop, everytime i ask something demanding of it. granted it was by ne mean a top end drill but it did everything i asked of in in the shop, (small jobs)

one day i decided 2 get a plug in drill :D . i also knew its usage would be minimal. i looked at ones like the porter-cable above and i remember thinking they where a bit of a waste of time :o instead i when for a VERY powerful bosch pro SDS hammer drill, for 2 very good reason 1. huge amount of power for those demanding jobs in the shop. 2. it also has the ability to drill throught a foot of concrete, which might not be directly related to woodworking but, i am asked to fixing things around the house etc where that comes in handy e.g. wall plug etc.

so whilst this might not be what u had in mind, it is best to try and kill to birds with one stone when buying a tool which u know you might not use much ;)

"would rather have one and not need one, than need one and not have one" B)

I had thought about going ahead and getting a hammer drill, but they tend to run toward the top end of what my price range, and I was really hoping to get out w/ a good drill for less than $100. :) The more important features to me are they 1/2 chuck, higher amps, and most importantly, the Variable speed.

Give a bunch of consideration to a reconditioned drill. I got one of these Dewalts a few years ago and it's served me well.

http://www.amazon.co...4508578&sr=1-19

I thought about that. I'm a little hesitant on used tools. I've been burned a couple times. Factory reconditioned, though, usually offer some type of short term warranty, so I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the link!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a GREAT DeWalt 1/2" hammer drill I'll let you borrow (if you haven't bought one already). :)

Hadn't bought one yet. I ended up lugging my 10" drill press outside to do what I needed to do. It was a bit awkward...but it got the job done, so I guess that's all that matters. I'll probably pick one up in the future, but probably not till closer to christmas when the sales are on. Maybe black friday - who knows. :)