Operating a drying kiln should require a license!

CessnaPilotBarry

Here's two shots of samples from 200 bd/ft of BEAUTIFUL quartersawn white oak I purchased. The wood had ray flecks rarely seen in modern material, yet poor drying case hardened it to the point of unusability.

One photo shows the figure, the other shows how it literally fell apart as it was resawn.

I brought it back to my dealer for a refund, who in turn plans to return it to his source. Next stop for these pieces, my fire pit...

post-5634-0-03678600-1354141821_thumb.jp

post-5634-0-83150100-1354141821_thumb.jp

Jimmy -

Case hardening (as it related to drying) is something that happens when the outside of a material dries too rapidly, trapping moisture inside the wood. That can lead to wood that is damaged or unpredictable when worked. It's a problem for anything that should (theoretically) dry slowly to an even moisture level. For example, it's an issue when drying meat (i.e. bresaola or pancetta) - the outside dries too quickly, forming a hard, leathery surface, which forces the moisture inside the meat to stay put. Which defeats the point to drying. Which leads to all sorts of inedible nastiness.