What brand router bit?

If I need is a straight bit is it okay to use a template bit with the bearing on top?

Be careful of grain direction. As long as you're routing downhill, you'll be ok. If you are routing uphill, there is strong possibility of blowout. Learned that the hard way. This is why I own one of those top and bottom bearing pattern bits. If I come to a section that is up hill, I can flip the pattern plus work piece over and continue routing downhill. White side recently had such a bit for sale. Twenty some dollars if I recall. Great deal.

Up cut will pull the shavings out of a dado, but may leave a ragged edge. Down cut will leave a perfect surface but pack the shavings into the dado. If you are just using these for edge work down cut leaves a nice top edge, and up cut leaves a nice bottom edge.

There are combination up / down bits which leave both faces clean.

Shear angle bits are better at not chipping out the face of the cut, especially on curly or figured grains.

Solid carbide bits can snap if pushed too hard, guess how I found that out ? I use a 1/4" solid carbide bit , down cut, on a router table with a power feeder at the slowest speed possible to cut grooves for drawer bottoms and cabinet backs. I'm only cutting 1/4" deep. The first pass cuts the groove and leaves a chip free surface. A second pass clears the chips faster than compressed air and a screwdriver.

Was just wondering what brand of router bits you guys would recommend. Was about to start building up my collection and replacing my starter bits.

I use Freud, Whiteside and Amana bits with a few Bosch(don't know who makes theirs) and a couple Rocklers thrown in for one-off use. The best guide to bit quality is cost, those 20-piece sets for $50 aren't the bargain they seem. If you can buy an off-brand bit for $10 and a comparable Whiteside or Freud is $20, there's a reason.

I am new to woodworking and just got a router and I am wondering what brand would be good for a starter kit?  I also do not know the extent of everything that I want to do yet. 

Avoid the starter kit, you'll wind up with bits you may never use or a set of bits that are useless. Buy them as you need them. See above for my brand choices, YMMV. You pays your money and takes your choice.

If you just have to have a pile of bits to fondle  ;) while you figure out what to do with them get yourself a couple or three straight bits in sizes you think you might use for dados, a small roundover for easing edges(1/16" or 1/8"), a 1/4 or 3/8 roundover, a good flush-trim bit(larger is better depending on your router(s)) and a rabbeting bit with some extra bearings. That should cover about 90% of your needs. For the rest you'll know what you need when you need it.

is there any significant difference between the freud bits and the diablo bits?

IIRC, the Diablo bits just have thinner carbide and can't be resharpened as many times as the Freud Industrial bits. Since most folks don't have their bits sharpened anyway I don't see where it makes a lot of difference for the casual user. I have a few Diablo bits I picked up at the local HD when in a rush, they work as well as the Industrials. They may not last as long but they were available when I needed them. Sometimes convenience rules...

A new sharp cheap bit may cut better than a dull bit that costs twice as much. Router bits dull with use just like saw blades and there's a lot less carbide doing the cutting in a router bit. Look at the third topic in this link: http://patwarner.com/routerbits.html Keep those bits sharp! They wear out faster than you think, especially if you do a lot of routing in MDF.

Where to buy? Personally, I buy most of my bits from Amazon and they come from either Hartville Tool or Edge of Arlington.

I'd buy direct but I'm a Prime member and get free 2-day shipping but I've never had a problem with either, both have great pricing and service.

And if you just want to learn more about routing I'd suggest a visit to Pat Warner's site, the guy has probably forgotten more than most of us will ever hope to know about routing.

HTH,

Bill