What brand router bit?

I like Whiteside, Freud, and CMT, when it really counts... My first choice is usually Whiteside. AFAIK, Eagle America's better quality bits are Whiteside.

I've also got a couple of cheapies that work fine in lighter uses. For example, small chamfers and roundovers, vee grooves, etc... seem to be jobs that cheap bits do fine with. My most commonly used 1/4" shank chamfer bit is a Woodcraft bit I bought on special for $5.

Joinery bits, complicated profiles, solid spiral, flush trim, medium and large edge forms... These seem to be jobs that come out cleanest with high-quality bits, which means less sanding and scraping, and the beefy bits last and last if kept clean. Most good bits can be resharpened for $5-10, so an expensive bit can still be a good value.

I think the MLCS router bits are a little overrated, but depends on the expectation for them. I think they are a good choice for first time router bit users if you buy them as a kit, because for low cost, you can figure out which bits you use the most, then replace those with higher quality ones.

I'm a Whiteside guy. For the one-off bit, I don't mind Rockler's brand and the price is right.

==> I like Whiteside, Freud, and CMT, when it really counts...

+1

When getting bits resharpened, the service seems to do the best job on the three brands mentioned above. The el cheepos you see in the flyers tend to not do well at the service, so they aren't worth the initial cost savings. At this point, all my low-cost bits have fallen-out of service -- so i'm at 80% Freud/CMT with 20% whiteside.

Just bought my first Freud "quadra-cut" bit a couple weeks ago. Will never buy anything else! I hope they decide to make all various sizes in that style.

That thing cuts so smooth it's truly incredible. so slight sanding needed afterwards it's hard to believe until you use one. Wonderful bits.

FWW did a review for member but its on the Whiteside web site:

http://www.whiteside...tRouterBits.pdf

At the end of the day, the Whiteside (left) and the

Eagle (right) bits had risen to the top of the mix,

tying for the highest score. Lee Valley had the

second-highest score, followed by Southeast

and Woodtek in a tie for third

I have a lot of diablo. porter cable, MLCS cheap-o bits that I am replacing with whiteside. my local woodcraft has a "whiteside bit of the month" special and I usually buy that one. It's amazing how much better the whiteside bits cut vs the big box bits. In a lot of cases, the whiteside aren't much more expensive. I've got about 15 of them now, and I have another 20 or so to go.

My most used bit is my 1/2" shank 1 1/2" whiteside flush trim bit. I do edge jointing with a router. I actually have a 2.5hp router that I just leave that bit in. The woodriver brand 3 flute flush trim bit actually cuts a lot nicer, but not for long. It got dull on me really fast.

• 2 years later...

I am new to woodworking and just got a router and I am wondering what brand would be good for a starter kit?  I also do not know the extent of everything that I want to do yet. 

My advice would be to buy as needed. I bought a MLCS set and most of the bits still have the plastic coating on them. 

I've got a mix of all different bits. Sommerfeld bits (originally made by CMT) for my cabinet making bits, Whiteside for my most used bits (1/4" roundover, chamfer, inlay) I have a few freud flush cut bits and pattern bits. I also have a 50 piece set of Yonico bits that came free with my PC 7518 router when I bought it. They have all sorts of ogee, roman, cove, diamond and other pattern bits. I've used maybe 10 bits from that set for messing around with some profiles, or working with MDF/Plywood to spare my better bits from that use. The Yonico bits aren't the best, but they are decent enough. 

+1 for Whiteside in terms of quality

Whiteside bits are no doubt great bits. One of these days I want to try Amana bits, they have slightly better reviews than WS. I have a CMT raised panel set and got good results. I found the CMT lock miter to be very thin on the leading edge. Got a little chatter once and it actually bent the leading edge. 

Eagle america has a 70 bit set for sale for just  about 220 dollars.  i know most of these bits would sit there and not get used. has anybody had any experience with this set. sale is on for another month. i could see grabbing it just to have the bits to play with. (its all about the tools)