Storing Different Woods

RJsumthn

I was cleaning out the bed of my old El Camino. This car doesn't run but it is what I'm am insured under (i'm still on my parents insurance plan) and it saves us about $1000 a year. For the past 4 years, while i've been at college, the car has been used as mainly storage and has collected a lot of junk like old electronics and wood. I was out the wood because it is bulk trash pickup in a couple days. To my surprised there was some useable wood in there but most of it being construction grade lumber and some pressure treated stuff. I only have one shelf that I just put up the other day for lumber.

My question is can you store pressure treated lumber with the wood for furniture use?

I would not let them touch one another. They can be in the same space, different shelf, and any transfer would be negligible, if any. If they touch, there is potential for transfer the chemicals from the pressure treating, which will cause discoloration and can be a headache later for finishing.

Just put a thin scrap between them to create an air space. It is not like a few years back, treated lumber no longer has arsenic in it. Same shelf , same room, no big deal. Only thing I would worry about is moisture content. Treated can be pretty wet, keep the wet stuff in a seperate stack from dry lumber.