My 1st Burl !

Guillaume Breton

I was pretty happy saturday, i went to this "wood collector" near where i live and, in his basement, its was complete chaos ! wood everywhere, but not any kind of wood.

all rare pieces, beautiful burls, curl bubinga, amboina burls, birds eye *insert species here*, i mean, every rare twist of every exotic wood.

Through this mess (hoarder kind of mess, piles on piles, everywhere!) i dig up a very big Big Leafed Maple Burl.

He had it for 25 years (so i guess its dry!) and i was able to make a deal, 100$ for 35 pound.

img8822uk.th.jpg

the burl didn't seem to be exceptional (but its the only one i could afford!) so i took a guess.

a couple pepper mills and bowls and i should make that 100$ back quickly.

Today i started to cut the piece and make turning blanks, i will probably try to make at least 1 natural edge plate with the rest and 3 pepper mills.

i was happily surprised of the grain, its not jaw dropping but its more than i expected. For my first burl, i'm happy.

it was an adventure. I'm still in school and short on $$, so for me its a "big" deal.

post-7625-0-51092600-1358305467_thumb.jp

post-7625-0-79395300-1358305420_thumb.jp

nothing special turning burl i suppose ? if the burl is 25 years old, could it still be more humid in the center still ? should i care to put some wax on the pieces i wont be turnign right away ? tyvm ! :D

If you don't have a moisture meter you can weigh the pieces on a accurate scale, (postal, digital kitchen, ). Let it sit for a few days and weigh it again. If the weight stays the same it is at a stable moisture content. I got a nice little digital scale at Costco for $20 -$30 or so. You can keep it in a plastic bag to slow the drying down or reseal it. Your shop might have dryer conditions than his basement , but after so many years the wood surely isn't green anymore.

• 3 weeks later...